The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Auctioning off pups

Default Auctioning off pups

I assume many on this forum are active in conservation groups such as Ducks Unlimited, Quail Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, etc. What is the prevailing thought on having breeders donate hunting breed puppies to the auctions at the annual dinners? I ask as I saw a solicitation to donate puppies to an upcoming charity dinner for an organization not mentioned above.

Over the years I have not seen great breeding at these auctions. One breeder donated a dog with a large white blaze on its chest. The same breeder later sold a litter of pups that the buyers could not register as he had not paid the fee to the stud dog owner.

The idea of people bidding on cute puppies on the spur of the moment after imbibing copious amounts of adult beverages seems to be beyond the bounds of what I consider ethical marketing of dogs.

Russ

I think there was an extensive thread a couple months ago on this issue.
    I also think that AKC frowns on puppies being auctioned or raffled.
    Seems as if someone also on this forum recently adopted a dog, that had been a Ducks Unlimited Auction Dog, and ended up headed to the POUND, if not for someone being so kind as to rescue this dog, and find it a proper FOREVER home.

I agree with you , the thought of people partying, and waking up with a puppy...puts a great FEAR into me, because of that, I will not donate pups for any of those organizations.
    God blesses me everyday, with the wags of my dogs tails, and the hugs and smiles of a grandchild.

Default auction

WhenI trained Gun Dogs for a living I didn't see anything wrong with it. I donated a free month of training to the local DU Clubs to the person who recieved the puppy. I think I only saw one nice breeding here in MD at the DU auctions and that was from a fellow RTN person. After about four years of doing that I think only one person followed up on the free month.(I could at least get OB done) Now I have a different opinion. I would rather give a nice puppy away to a FT/HT/Hunting/Pet family than donate one. Nothing against the organizations who I donated to because I still support them just not the best way of doing things. Just my opinion.

Lee

Banned

Donating a pup for a organization is just that. "win, win" for the organization not so for the pup or for the all too often "had too much to drink, what was I think'in" new owner. 2 parties lose, 1 wins......

Angie

I think it falls into the category of ?Lord forgive them for they know not what they do? It is my opinion that auctioning or raffling a puppy off is poor form and I discourage it with any organization I am associated.