The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver "Labs" and AKC

Was judging a junior HT a couple of years ago. Guy brought what he said was a "silver lab" to the line. Sorry. I know what labs are supposed to look like, and I know what Wiemers look like. If there was any lab blood in that dog it did not get to his body structure, his head or his eyes. And the dog had no clue what to do with a bird. That was the only time I was happy to fail a dog. It did not belong there. But that did not stop the guy from trying to sell the dog's "qualities" to anybody gullible enough to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    Gotcha....thanks. So, you're saying somewhere in the dog's line, a labrador was bred with a Weim? Know the color of the dog is recessive, but I wonder if it really comes from Weims??? Interesting.....
    At this point the cross was probably so far back that it would be hard to find genetically in any case, the kennel that housed both Labs and Weim where such a cross might've accidentally happened if it happened at all, was back in the 1940's. Unless people are doing it again for marketing That's a lot of generations of breeding back to pure lab stock for one little recessive to get lost in a bunch of different lines without breeders knowing it, if it even came from a cross, and wasn't a hidden gene in original lines. Whatever the Lab clubs stance on it, for conformation etc. I'd assume they'll be considered a fault , not to standard and eliminated from show, however Show doesn't have the same pull in the pet nor performance world. So even if the coloration is considered a fault, it doesn't stop them from being bred, doesn't stop them from being registered, and doesn't keep them out of performance events. All they can do is prevent them from being registered as Silver, because Silver is not a recognized color in the Lab, unless the Lab club chooses to make it one, or the Lab club-AKC takes a more active stance to eliminate it from registration. I don't see that happening

This is very akin to breeding Dudley's they are a fully registrable Lab, with a dis-qualifying fault, doesn't stop them from being produced, and bred with full papers, in a pet or performance home.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

The show people feel the same about it as anyone who cares about the breed does... that akc really dropped the ball when they went out to examine the kennel producing them and allowing them to be registered as chocolate. Anyone with any ability to see type can see the weim in these dogs and not just the color.

The cockapoo people have been saying they're going to be an akc recognized breed since the 70s... That'll happen before the LRC recognizes silver labs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    The show people feel the same about it as anyone who cares about the breed does... that akc really dropped the ball when they went out to examine the kennel producing them and allowing them to be registered as chocolate. Anyone with any ability to see type can see the weim in these dogs and not just the color.

The cockapoo people have been saying they're going to be an akc recognized breed since the 70s... That'll happen before the LRC recognizes silver labs.
    If I understand this correctly..., the AKC visited a "silver lab" breeder and after examining their "SILVER" color decided that they could be registered as chocolate? Ahh, silver/chocolate same color, apples/oranges same thing? That makes as much sense as American politics in 2013! Slightly off topic, when my dad was a kid he wanted a paint/pinto quarter horse, he had a palomino, so one day after school he grabbed a can of brown and black paint and commenced to "paint" himself a pinto. More I think of it maybe it's not off topic, looked like a pinto but sure as he!! wasn't
    Last edited by jeff evans; 02-25-2013 at 06:00 PM.

May be a bit off the subject, but I know someone who purchased a female black lab puppy from a litter sired by a "Silver" lab. She thought this was a big deal to brag about. The dog is almost 100 lbs and is very tall. I've not measured her, but I'd guess at least 28" at the withers. Very leggy... looks like mixed with Great Dane! I also met a "silver" lab puppy this past summer. Owner told me he had to be on a waiting list for 3 years to get a "silver" from the breeder. I bet for how much he spent he probably could have actually got a dog with pretty good breeding.... Don't even get me started ranting about the price and poor breeding of doodles!!!
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches "Zipp"

If you repeat a lie enough, people will start to believe it.

Copy this, and paste it in a google search. That'll bring up all the "silver" Lab breeders that you would ever want to find.

In 1987 we conducted an inquiry into the breeding of the litters that contained the dogs that were registered as silver and one of our representatives was sent to observe several of the dogs that had been registered as silver. Color photographs of these dogs were forwarded to the office of the American Kennel Club where the staff of the AKC and the representative of the Labrador Retriever Club of America examined them. Both parties were satisfied that there was no reason to doubt that the dogs were purebred Labrador Retrievers, however both parties felt that the dogs were incorrectly registered as silver. Since the breed standard describes chocolate as ranging in shade from Sedge to Chocolate, it was felt that the dogs could more accurately be described as chocolate than as silver."

Written by Robert Young of the AKC 3/27/00
    Robert Young, is/was a photographer for the AKC.

If you enjoy the person, don't criticize the dog. Most people who love a dog love it in spite of someone's expert opinion, not because of it.

Lord knows it's true for me. I could rattle off a million faults, some that I even agree with. Dog people are pretty darn critical, and everyone's an expert.

i have decided to spend less time criticizing other dogs, less time defending mine, and more time on world peace.

Silver Lab? That's nice. Dorkie-poo? Sounds interesting.
    Last edited by luvalab; 02-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    Here's my question, and it may be a dumb one.....but if you can register a "silver" lab as a chocolate, what's the difference? AKC is recognizing the animal, just not as a "silver" lab. Can someone explain this?
    If you read the post , the silver color only comes from a Weimaramer cross, so even if someone gets it by akc it still isn't helping or improving the lab as a breed. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyJ View Post
    If you read the post , the silver color only comes from a Weimaramer cross, so even if someone gets it by akc it still isn't helping or improving the lab as a breed. IMO
    Oh I agree with you. Just thought since "silver" isn't a recognized color of the breed, AKC would do a little better job of screening registration.

AKC is allowing them to be papered as chocolate. The governing bodies have accepted them as purebred labrador retrievers. If you have a problem with "silver" labs your problem is with the AKC and LRC.

There was a guy that sold PET ROCKS. Yes, pet rocks. I don't hate him because he found buyers and made millions of $$, I'm just jealous I wasn't smart enough to do it. Then there is the Sham Wow, Thighmaster, and the most recent craze "Longitude" pills...............buyers are the only way sellers are successfull.