The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver "Labs" and AKC

Quote Originally Posted by gdluck View Post
    There was a guy that sold PET ROCKS. Yes, pet rocks. I don't hate him because he found buyers and made millions of $$, I'm just jealous I wasn't smart enough to do it.
    But while people were stupid enough to buy them, at least he was being honest and calling them rocks.... not turtles. That's the difference here.

I understand your view but there is no difference. The breeders are saying they are purebred Labs and the AKC and LRC are allowing them to be registered as such. Therefore the AKC and LRC are aknowledging they are purebred. I don't like it any more than you but the failure is with them not the breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by gdluck View Post
    but the failure is with them not the breeders.
    The breeders are the ones breeding FOR a color that doesn't exist in this breed and then falsifying the papers (by both registering them as chocolate and really registering them period), they very much share the fault. As well as the ignorant public who gets all starry eyed wanting something "different" or "rare", and not doing the proper breed research ahead of time.

Read Fran's comments on the LRC web site again. The LRC does not, repeat, does not recognize what is advertised as a "silver lab". The AKC did drop the ball on this. If you register it as a "chocolate" yet advertise and sell it as a "silver"---says something right there re the breeders. As to the color being recognized or accepted by the LRC in the relatively near future, make it a big bet! There are three colors: black, yellow, and chocolate.

Glenda

Ok, so if a silver lab is the result of a cross breeding of a lab and a Weimar, how can one make an argument for the pups being "pure bred" again???

I agree, the AKC dropped the ball on this one.

There's lots of breeds that carry the dilution gene. It didn't have to be a Weim outcross.

And, it doesn't matter what breed it was.
    What matters, is that Labs are not supposed to carry the dilution gene.

They aren't supposed to have tan points, ticking, brindling, or polka dots either.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    There's lots of breeds that carry the dilution gene. It didn't have to be a Weim.

And, it doesn't matter what breed it was.

They aren't supposed to have tan points, ticking, brindling, or polka dots either.
    Precisely....so these "breeders" of silver labs, they're selling pups and taking deposits before the pups are even born. They seem pretty certain the dilution gene will manifest in the upcoming litter....seems a little strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    AMEN! my luck my next litter will have all of them
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    Precisely....so these "breeders" of silver labs, they're selling pups and taking deposits before the pups are even born. They seem pretty certain the dilution gene will manifest in the upcoming litter....seems a little strange to me.
    They know that two dogs affected with dilution, will produce 100% dilute pups.

They could do the same thing, with tan points.
    But, there's no money to be made in AKC registered Labs with tan points.

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    If you enjoy the person, don't criticize the dog. Most people who love a dog love it in spite of someone's expert opinion, not because of it.

Lord knows it's true for me. I could rattle off a million faults, some that I even agree with. Dog people are pretty darn critical, and everyone's an expert.

i have decided to spend less time criticizing other dogs, less time defending mine, and more time on world peace.

Silver Lab? That's nice. Dorkie-poo? Sounds interesting.
    That attitude may cause you less stress in the short run, but not standing for principles will cost you big time in the long run.

Can you say "Universal Health Care sounds nice." or " We can't all have a job." or "Sure you can have my guns."

All it takes for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!

As a Lab breeder I say Silver Labs are the product of evil and not to be tolerated let alone condoned.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer