The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 92

Thread: Silver "Labs" and AKC

  1. #31
    Senior Member Nicole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    There's lots of breeds that carry the dilution gene. It didn't have to be a Weim outcross.
    It didn't HAVE to be, but again if you just look at the type of the dogs, it's pretty obvious. Especially the "original" silver lines that they are all heavily inbred on.

    They aren't supposed to have tan points, ticking, brindling, or polka dots either.
    The "cause" of tan points and brindling are documented in our breed and while they can pop up, a responsible breeder will avoid producing them. Dilute is not documented in the breeds origins and silver breeders at first believed it magically appeared and will now argue it's been there all along, but us plain colored folks have been hiding it. I can't help you with polka dots

  2. #32
    Senior Member BAYDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Phelps,NY
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I feel bad for the Labs, with popularity, comes recklessness. I hope you are not going to have to watch , as did the Irish Setter folks, the downfall of a great breed due to breeding for color and total disregard of huntablity. And I know, "we will never let that happen " will ring out, as I am sure it did with them.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"


    Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

    There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

    American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/



    Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    200

    Default

    There have been many topics about Silver Labradors that the OP might search for here on RTF. This was one of the more in depth ones that might give the OP more background. http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...lab-volunteers

    There is a rebuttal to Fran Smith's LRC article that some might be interested in if they are open minded enough to hear out both sides of this debate. http://www.labradorcouncil.com/lrc-position.html
    Other insightful positions on that site as well that don't quite fit the rabid, uneducated, puppy mill, hillbilly mentality that so many naysayers attribute to all those who are supportive of these Labradors. There are even comments there about the importance of retrieving instinct, maintaining a working retriever, and health testing. Sentiment that people here would also stand for.
    It appears that there are more and more who are working to produce trainable, well-rounded, healthy Labradors. I'm not saying that all "silver" Lab breeders are doing right by their dogs, heaven knows many are still just breeding the color for the money and hardly know the head from the tail of a dog. Yet, I suppose that would be true for the majority of back yard "breeders," regardless of what color their Labs might be.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Sharon Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    There are three colors of Labradors. Black, Yellow, and Chocolate.

    If the AKC says the gray color is considered chocolate, then why do all the gray Lab folks keep fighting...why not just call them chocolate? Why insist on a special color name all their own? I don't see the folks with "fox red" yellows trying to claim they are a separate color from yellow?
    Sharon Potter

    www.redbranchkennels.net

    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

    Team Huntsmith

  5. #35
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    That attitude may cause you less stress in the short run, but not standing for principles will cost you big time in the long run.

    Can you say "Universal Health Care sounds nice." or " We can't all have a job." or "Sure you can have my guns."

    All it takes for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!

    As a Lab breeder I say Silver Labs are the product of evil and not to be tolerated let alone condoned.

    Swack
    As a human being, I say dogs are here to serve the pleasures of man. What brings me pleasure may not bring someone else pleasure. When someone I like takes pleasure in their polka-dotted malti-schit-a-poo, I am happy for that person, and leave them alone, even though I think it's kind of stupid. If they ask me what I think, I use my best judgment as to how I want our human relationship to continue--with the foreknowledge that everyone who loves a dog, loves it in spite of (not because of) my opinion.

    Other peoples' pleasures may be stupid, in my estimation, but they are still their own and they have a right to them, and I appreciate that right. Paying good money for a silver Lab is pretty stupid. But if it makes someone I like happy, I'm not going to get so worked up about it that it jeapordizes the human relationship.

    Believing dogs are the repositories of all good and evil in this world is putting way too much pressure on the poor beasts.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

  6. #36
    Senior Member Scum Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    There are three colors of Labradors. Black, Yellow, and Chocolate.

    If the AKC says the gray color is considered chocolate, then why do all the gray Lab folks keep fighting...why not just call them chocolate? Why insist on a special color name all their own? I don't see the folks with "fox red" yellows trying to claim they are a separate color from yellow?
    two reasons:

    1) $$$$
    2) See #1
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

  7. #37
    Senior Member jb504079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Tx
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    As a human being, I say dogs are here to serve the pleasures of man. What brings me pleasure may not bring someone else pleasure. When someone I like takes pleasure in their polka-dotted malti-schit-a-poo, I am happy for that person, and leave them alone, even though I think it's kind of stupid. If they ask me what I think, I use my best judgment as to how I want our human relationship to continue--with the foreknowledge that everyone who loves a dog, loves it in spite of (not because of) my opinion.

    Other peoples' pleasures may be stupid, in my estimation, but they are still their own and they have a right to them, and I appreciate that right. Paying good money for a silver Lab is pretty stupid. But if it makes someone I like happy, I'm not going to get so worked up about it that it jeapordizes the human relationship.

    Believing dogs are the repositories of all good and evil in this world is putting way too much pressure on the poor beasts.
    Good point. I'm not going to wreck a human relationship over a dog. However, I just think its wrong to capitalize on false advertising and people's ignorance, whether its a dog or a mortgage. It's just wrong. If silver's truly are legitimate, people shouldn't have to falsify registration by calling them chocolates. BUT, I don't blame these people for doing it, because ultimately, AKC is allowing, and in fact suggesting they do it this way.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Looks like the silver color probably came from a Norwegian Elkhound outcrossing back in the 1940's:

    http://www.labbies.com/silver.htm
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Deeeeetroit
    Posts
    226

    Default

    REPEAT ... They are not falsifying the registration. re read Copterdocs post #16. The AKC said to register them as chocolate.

    Sharon, I don't think they are trying to get their "OWN" color, they just advertise as silvers. The "red" folk don't don't argue about yellow/red because red is an accepted shade of yellow. However they do advertise as "red" or even "white" vs yellow and will charge a premium for those dogs. even in a litter with both the standard "yellow" and the "red" the reds cost more.\

    I actually just looked into a litter and one of them turned out to be red. The breeder was "taking bids" on that one. This is not a "backyard" breeding , titled sire dam and all the tests.
    Last edited by gdluck; 02-26-2013 at 08:46 AM.

  10. #40
    Senior Member jb504079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Tx
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdluck View Post
    REPEAT ... They are not falsifying the registration. re read Copterdocs post #16. The AKC said to register them as chocolate.

    Sharon, I don't think they are trying to get their "OWN" color, they just advertise as silvers. The "red" folk don't don't argue about yellow/red because red is an accepted shade of yellow. However they do advertise as "red" or even "white" vs yellow and will charge a premium for those dogs. even in a litter with both the standard "yellow" and the "red" the reds cost more.
    Yes, many people are falsifying registration purposefully. I also stated that its the AKC who is allowing, and in fact suggesting they do this. It's a huge contradiction, because AKC states that NO COAT COLORS other than black, yellow, and chocolate will be accepted for registration. They also suggest silver labs go to pet homes without registration papers in order to discourage this breed flaw.

    So, it's like AKC is saying two contradictory things. It's just weird to me. Perhaps I'm just not a huge fan of diluting the breed for the sake of a fad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •