The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Silver "Labs" and AKC

Everyone return to their cells ,I see a lock down coming.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Everyone return to their cells ,I see a lock down coming.
    Not yet, but Robert you need to calm down and please watch the language (acronyms).

And please everyone else watch what you post, it is obvious this is a touchy subject for many. It is obvious that someone's comment was taken personally, please think before you hit submit.

And lastly, please don't take the bait...sometimes it's best to let things be.

FOM
    RTF Moderator
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by robert stoeberl View Post
    DO YOU REALLY WANT TO THREATEN POEPLE!!!!!
    by all means YOU CAN START WITH ME!!!!!!
    I WILL NOT BACK DOWN!!!!

well then i say we go string up all them silver breeding SOB's from gdluck!
    Just for curiosities sake, do you health test your breeding stock? I see you breed silver labs.

Yes i do and this is what we do.
    • Hip Dysplasia
    • Heritable eye disease (CERF)
    • Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC)
    • Centronuclear Myopathy (CNM)

I am really very curious Robert, do you have a 5 or 6 generation pedigree you might share? Do your dogs come from field breedings or show breedings?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

why can't the LAB have a dilute gene? IS not the LAB from the st john's dog or the Newfoundland like the Chesapeake Bay retriever? Chesapeakes have had ASH or the dilute brown historically for a long period of time. Newfoundland also have had dilute browns.

Quote Originally Posted by ginnyr View Post
    why can't the LAB have a dilute gene? IS not the LAB from the st john's dog or the Newfoundland like the Chesapeake Bay retriever? Chesapeakes have had ASH or the dilute brown historically for a long period of time. Newfoundland also have had dilute browns.
    It doesn't matter what breeds made up the foundation dogs for the Labrador Retriever breed.

That's completely, and utterly irrelevant.

The Labrador Retriever, is it's OWN breed today. And it's a breed that is not SUPPOSED TO have any recessive d's, anywhere in any of the dogs being registered with the AKC.
    They are supposed to ALL be gone.

Just like there is not supposed to be any non-dilute Weimaraners, there are not supposed to be any dilute Labs.

The Weimaraner breed got rid of all the big D's. The Labrador breed got rid of all the little d's.

That was really hard to do.
    Harder in Labs, because dilution is the recessive expression of what's in the D locus.

These "Silver Lab" breeders are doing the exact opposite of what they are SUPPOSED TO do, when their lines express dilution.
    Instead of striving to stop it's spread, they are INTENTIONALLY reproducing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I am really very curious Robert, do you have a 5 or 6 generation pedigree you might share? Do your dogs come from field breedings or show breedings?
    bridget sorry no i will not share my pedigrees on here. i will tell u some of them came from just pet breeders and came from field lines.
    all my dogs run in AKC and UKC hunt tests! all but one has a title.

oh oh.........

baaaaaaad peanuts!

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    It doesn't matter what breeds made up the foundation dogs for the Labrador Retriever breed.

That's completely, and utterly irrelevant....

...These "Silver Lab" breeders are doing the exact opposite of what they are SUPPOSED TO do, when their lines express dilution.
    If the foundations of our breed are "utterly irrelevant" than so too is the breed. The breed is only as good as its foundation, it is what defines a breed!

One could say these "field Lab" breeders are doing the exact opposite of what they are SUPPOSED TO do, when their lines express out of standard traits.
    I don't know how many times I have read excuses here as to why it is just fine for field breeders to breed completely out of standard dogs because they love to retrieve more than breathe. It seems to me the kettle is calling the pot black....which some here claim is the only true Labrador color. I suppose that clears it up! We should all breed for and run fire-breathing, carnivorous black gazelles with a killer drive for retrieving.