The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Training, My new partner and I

Default New to Training, My new partner and I

Hello all,
    I am new to the RTF and new to the world of training. I have just come into a 7 month old yellow lab named Cotton. He is a very sweet puppy I guess you could call him. I purchased the Smartwork basics dvd set and books this past week but I am confused on where to start.

I don't know if I should start with the puppy program even though Cotton weighs close to 65 pounds or if I should begin with obedience? He has no training that I know of up to this point. I have had him for about 2 weeks now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Start from the beginning if he has no training...

I would start with the puppy training until you can tell he knows what the commands are b4 you move onto formal OB.

Welcome to RTF and the crazy world of dog training
    Nordahl's Dream in Extreme (Dixie) 2 JR. Passes

Quote Originally Posted by Jomodeere View Post
    Hello all,
    I am new to the RTF and new to the world of training. I have just come into a 7 month old yellow lab named Cotton. He is a very sweet puppy I guess you could call him. I purchased the Smartwork basics dvd set and books this past week but I am confused on where to start.

I don't know if I should start with the puppy program even though Cotton weighs close to 65 pounds or if I should begin with obedience? He has no training that I know of up to this point. I have had him for about 2 weeks now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome---do we get to see a pic of your new pup? He as at the age where he should learn very quickly. I would do some some basic puppy work, and start on basic training. Also, if you have never trained a dog, I would consider enrolling Cotton in a class--Petsmart has a good one. It will be good for you and great socialization for Cotton. Are you planning on hunting him? Good luck with your pup!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Okay I will give the puppy program a run and see how it goes. I am very excited to begin training because eventually I want him to become my hunting partner! I tried throwing a few bumpers the other day but it is hard to get control on him with a rope because he is so big!

I'll try to get a picture of him up just as soon as I can though!

it is hard to get control on him with a rope because he is so big!
    It sounds like you will be in for a fun ride....early on.

To start with, how does he "behave" wearing a short, six foot leash?
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

Use a choker chain wile training to help maintain control.
    Nordahl's Dream in Extreme (Dixie) 2 JR. Passes

On a six foot leash he likes to pull a good bit and sniff all over the place but I thought that was just him being a puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jomodeere View Post
    On a six foot leash he likes to pull a good bit and sniff all over the place but I thought that was just him being a puppy!
    this is an H & S Prong collar, buy it.
    And welcome to the RTF

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    this is an H & S Prong collar, buy it.
    And welcome to the RTF

When you order it ,buy 2 ,so you have extra prongs to add when needed. I prefer the Pringer brand,then I take out the center clip and (in Kens pic ) I take the top right prong off and turn that side around ,so all prongs face the same way.My main reason that I do this is so I dont have to slide the collar over the dogs eyes (I dont like that) and you can quickly unhook it to take it on /off.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")