The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sequester!!!!

Soo.. is sequester a verb or a noun? We use it currently as a noun = cut in gov. spending. I prefer to use it as a verb. My girlfriend and I performed a sequester at the mountain cabin and called in sick to work the next day because of 'snow'. JD

PS Yer choice.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

One of the magazines I read is Successful Farming. This month they have two articles about farming the government - one deals with crop insurance, where the taxpayer picks up 62% of the premium while getting none of the payoff. There is talk in the next farm bill of cutting that to 53% in the next farm bill, truly . I'd like to have that help with my quake insurance (joking) but find it sad that we as taxpayers are picking up operating costs for any business. The reason the $5,500,000 exemption for both man & wife has to do with the large amount of assets controlled by these farmers.

The other is a proposal by Martha Roby, (R-AL) & a member of the House Ag committee that would limit CRP funds to marginal lands to prevent soil erosion & apply conservation techniques. Any Class 1 & 2 lands would be ineligible for the program. This would take the program from 27 million acres to 24 million acres & IMO benefit all of us as sportsman, enviro's & whatever else you want to call yourself.

JD, I do not place anyone on Ignore though some have come close. I consider it somewhat of a compliment that you would lump UB & myself in the same frame. It may have something to do with the fact that both of us are Dakotans & recognize Hoya Hoya when we experience it. Your opinion of me is something I lose no sleep over, in fact it's nice to know that I have penetrated that elitist thought process that you think you possess. BTW, I am not the only poster on these forums pointing out what I consider stupidity when I see it .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I have not seen anyone on this forum, aside from myself, lay any blame for sequestration on congress. The country does NOT believe it is Congresses' fault.

As I said; so what if he vetoes a piece of legislation? Grow a pair and send it thru a second time. They're too damn busy trying to "win", to do their job! They have, however, found the time and wherewithal to give themselves a pay raise and go out on recess. - Paul
    Paul, I know you and I don't believe sequestration is Congress' fault ... but if you listen to the POTUS' speeches, he must believe that, since he keeps saying that.

Truthfully, I'd have to say both Congress & POTUS deserve some blame since both have had over a year to plan spending cuts more intelligently than sequestration proposes to make the cuts. Neither did so. The House did present a budget. Haven't heard anything further about when the POTUS' budget will be ready; or the Senate's.

Over-riding a veto would require 2/3 vote (if I recall my civics lessons correctly). Can't see that happening in the Senate. Doubt the Ds would override their POTUS by joining a minority of Rs to that high a degree.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Isn't this poetic? One of the leading minds in the world is being ridiculed by one the true mental midgets on POTUS Place. The original Self Appointed POTUS Place police...or acronymically: SAPPP of NM! You are living proof of P.J. O'Rourke's cognitive quote, "Hubris is one of the great renewable resources." You are such an embarrassement to society, it's hard to defend your right to be the colossal fool you continually make of yourself.

Only fools like you don't have the intelligence to realize if it weren't for the likes of a Scalia on the SCOTUS, your gun rights would already have been taken from you, along with your 2nd amendment rights.

In a comparative world, Scalia would be a mega-star general, and you wouldn't even be a pimple on a PFC's ass. Your arrogance is beyond the pale. May you forever rot in your self-aggrandizement.

UB
    Marvin, Is this really the Bill Spitzer you wish to be identified with ? Are these the words you would use? Just askin' ?? JD

As to your first two paragraphs.. I know few farmers in the Middle Rio Grande Valley Conservancy District. These are mostly hobby farmers who produce little beyond alfalfa and a few dairy herds. They consume a vast amount of water from the Rio Grande. Our water deficit to Texas is more than 25 years in arrears. The snow pack in the the mountains of northern NM and southern CO is very unlikely to be made up any time soon. Still water pacts made a 100 years ago dominate. Due to irrigation and water compacts, what used to be a free flowing river year round, now is dry most of the summer. This is where I hunt and train my dogs. The Bureau of Reclamation ths year closed off many miles of river to hunting.

I have a puppy distracting me... and need to go to bed. I have to go to the ranch tomorrow early. I'll take this up later. JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 03-02-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Soo.. is sequester a verb or a noun? We use it currently as a noun = cut in gov. spending. I prefer to use it as a verb. My girlfriend and I performed a sequester at the mountain cabin and called in sick to work the next day because of 'snow'. JD

PS Yer choice.

Some things would be better left unsaid
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post

PS Yer choice.
    Sequestering:1:take temporary possession of as a security, by legal authority; 2:set apart from others; 3:keep away from others; 4:requisition forcibly, as of enemy property; 5:undergo sequestration by forming a stable compound with an ion.

she didn't say please???????????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

These cuts are a start.
    Best thing this congress and President have done to date!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Paul, I know you and I don't believe sequestration is Congress' fault ... but if you listen to the POTUS' speeches, he must believe that, since he keeps saying that.

Truthfully, I'd have to say both Congress & POTUS deserve some blame since both have had over a year to plan spending cuts more intelligently than sequestration proposes to make the cuts. Neither did so. The House did present a budget. Haven't heard anything further about when the POTUS' budget will be ready; or the Senate's.

Over-riding a veto would require 2/3 vote (if I recall my civics lessons correctly). Can't see that happening in the Senate. Doubt the Ds would override their POTUS by joining a minority of Rs to that high a degree.

Yes Gerry, they are ALL to blame.

What has happened is that the House has submitted budgets that were clearly put together to provoke the response we have have seen from the Senate. But, in my opinion, the Senate was wrong to take the bait; they should have worked to modify it enough that there could be some chance of the House taking it up and proposing further changes, which ultimately would lead to a budget proposal being sent to the President for his signature.

You are correct; a 2/3 majority vote by the House and Senate is required to override a Presidential veto. To accomplish it, our legislators would have to set aside politics and act in the countries' best interest. THAT is Statesmanship!! And that is what we have lacked in our leaders for far too long, in my opinion.

On a personal note, I have had it with these clowns! This week I am registering as an Independant, which will allow me to vote in all primaries in Ct. I will vote against ALL incumbents Democrat and Republican alike. Since they will not do what is required, I will do what I can to vote them out of office. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

On a personal note, I have had it with these clowns! This week I am registering as an Independant, which will allow me to vote in all primaries in Ct. I will vote against ALL incumbents Democrat and Republican alike. Since they will not do what is required, I will do what I can to vote them out of office. -Paul
    I'm hearing this from more and more people. I just hope that it is enough to bring about the changes that we need. Since the candidates from both the dems. and repubs. seem to be too well controlled by their parties we need to change that for sure to get results. Trouble is some of these people in those two main parties are blindly loyal ( both voters and lawmakers of those two parties ). It truely boggles the mind.
    Last edited by charly_t; 03-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    These cuts are a start.
    Best thing this congress and President have done to date!
    I think that you are correct. I just hope somehow that it can be carried out and that no one derails the train.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~