The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sequester!!!!

Back to sequester ... I keep thinking about who will benefit from what has happened.

The Admin has backed off on immediate disaster, saying that the effects will be more gradual. One might think that the Admin will look better if "pain" will result from the sequester event. If the economy worsens, they can say it is the fault of sequester, and not the economy's suffering due to food & energy costs.

OTOH, both Nebraska and the State Dept have cleared the way for the XL pipeline. Anticipated approval of same would be some time in June. If Obama stifles that again, there could be a lot of anger mixed with the economic pain. He's also sitting on 5 or 6 permits for building CNG export ports. If he starts approving those, that could also have positive economic effects.

So, does he hold up XL and the CNG port permits ... so that economic pain can be blamed on the Rs for sequester? Or does he approve XL and the port permits, have the economy get healthier & have that help him advance his spending agenda? Of course, if XL and CNG ports help the economy, and Fed revenues should increase even without any more tax increases, that would be counter to the Admin's basic premise.

I think he missed the boat by not pushing XL approval into this year. If it had been approved before the election, and the economy had shown an uptick, by now his approval ratings would be higher. That would give the Ds more clout in the mid-terms. Of course, if he can approve it soon enough to show some economic improvement before the mid-terms, then he could look like a bit of a hero for satisfying his environmental constituency, and eventually also satisfying his union constituency. (although it appears that the environmentalists would rather XL never become reality).

My brain is aching ... I could never be a politician!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

LOL! Now it's Reagan's fault ... not Obama's idea at all ... per Jay Carney at a press conference ...

CARNEY: The fact that it's called that was because that's what it was called back in the 1980s under the deficit reduction package known as Gramm-Rudman-Hollings that President Reagan signed when they had a trigger, a spending-cuts-only trigger that was evenly divided between defense spending and nondefense spending. And it's true that that was put on the table as part of the demand for a spending-cuts-only trigger that let's do it the way they did it back under President Reagan --
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

No more self guided tours of the white house during spring break due to "sequester." This guy acts like a little child having a tantrum....what a leader we have!
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Biggest jerk to ever inhabit the WH. OK, so he closes tours there and saves a pittance. Doesn't stop him from wasting billions on Egypt. Millions on his never ending campaigns, city to city tour or whatever. And we have four more years of this jackwagon. What will the debt be by then?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Biggest jerk to ever inhabit the WH. OK, so he closes tours there and saves a pittance. Doesn't stop him from wasting billions on Egypt. Millions on his never ending campaigns, city to city tour or whatever. And we have four more years of this jackwagon. What will the debt be by then?
    That is a very polite way to put it I have some other choice words I would like to use but I'll refrain. What a disgrace, I'm ashamed of our lack of leadership! This guy is a counterfeit fraud, and was elected using the same counterfeit fraudulent tactics he is using today...
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    That is a very polite way to put it I have some other choice words I would like to use but I'll refrain. What a disgrace, I'm ashamed of our lack of leadership! This guy is a counterfeit fraud, and was elected using the same counterfeit fraudulent tactics he is using today...
    Yeah, I have to hold myself back on this topic.
    Bill Davis

Evidently, even before sequester took effect, hours were cut at military health coverage, TRICARE, offices; and hours shortened at post exchanges.

Makes me believe, Obama & those close to him, knew that they never would avoid sequester ... it was their intention never to offer a compromise that the Rs would accept ... just make sure to set the stage for the pain being blamed on the Rs resistance.

Mark Levin alluded, tonight, that Boehner and the Rs are ready to sign that continuing resolution to keep the govt from shutting down at the end of March ... no mention of what they were getting in return for again turning a blind eye to the fact that the Senate (and Obama) yet again have produced no budget.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Hey JD, "sequester" is a noun as used in your sentence about you and your sweetie.
    At the time it seemed both a noun and a verb. I guess it was one of those, 'ya had to be there, kinda things' you know....

Now we the people get to practice a sequester. I hope it feels good, cause she did say, "yes". JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    At the time it seemed both a noun and a verb. I guess it was one of those, 'ya had to be there, kinda things' you know....

Now we the people get to practice a sequester. I hope it feels good, cause she did say, "yes". JD
    One pretty good hint (noun vs verb), if "a" or "the" precede a word, it's a safe bet that it is a noun.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Looks like some people HAVE been watching this sequester "showmanship"

(Reuters) – Less than two months into his second term, President Barack Obama’s approval rating has dropped and Americans blame him and his fellow Democrats almost as much as his Republican opponents for a fiscal mess.

A Reuters/Ipsos online poll released on Wednesday showed 43 percent of people approve of Obama’s handling of his job, down 7 percentage points from February 19.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com