The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Sound Beginnings

Default Sound Beginnings

Hey everyone.

I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading whats on here already. I have been on the waiting list to get a black lab male. Hopefully I will have a puppy in the next year. I have already started looking through books and DVDs to get a feeling for what it is going to take to train a puppy to retrieve. This is my first time training a dog myself. I have read the Wolters books that my dad passed down to me, but like i have read on the site that they are outdated. So i got my hands on Duck Dog Basics, Sound Beginnings, and Fowl Dogs.

The question I have is about Sound Beginnings. Some of the drills (the one that comes to mind was the "W drill") in the movie seem complex for a puppy. If the puppy does not do as it is supposed to with the retrieving drill, do you reprimand the puppy at the young age? Or are you just trying to introduce the puppy to retrieving in many different ways and the mistakes will be fixed later during formal training.

Any other advice or words of wisdom for a new, young dog trainer would be appreciated.

Welcome! Get the Bill Hillman video along with Sound Beginnings. Between the two, you will have a good understanding of where to begin.

Kingstree - do not reprimand the puppy - X 2

yes Jackie does many different drills to introduce the pup to many different training situations, I also agree with Dough Burt - Bill Hillman stresses balance which is very beneficial to the dogs training, let it have fun doing what it wants but also have it do what you want - leashes and heeling and sitting

dont get into too big of a hurry and have fun, but look in the classifieds and I am sure someone has a used copy of Bill Hillmans DVD and use both because I think that Jackie Mertens does a very good job introducing puppies to many different things

Good luck and welcome to RTF
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

All the puppy videos I've been watching basically say the same thing, don't get too worried if they don't do it right every time or at all. When they hit a certain age and start formal training that is where you will enforce the commands and expectations, not much of what I am doing is encouraging a behavior and not enforcing such a behavior - I liken it to the difference of reeling him in on check cord vs encouraging him to come with some slight tugs and happy voice and flailing arms.

.My pup is 16 weeks old and some days I am smiling proud and others I start to get frustrated and then remember he is only a pup. Sound beginings is just that, doing things that get the pup ready to move into more formal training. I still haven't seen the Bill hillman video but both SB and Evan's puppy dvd have been very helpful. My trainer was excited to know I had been using SB and Evan's dvds to hlpe me prepare Jackson for more formal training. Good luck to you. Work on your obeidiance and creating good behavoir and start some field work (retrieves, marks, introduce water and other environments and dogs & people) and most importantly enjoy the puppy time.

Thanks all for the replies and help