The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trained dog prices?

Default Trained dog prices?

Found this ad on a forum that I read. "Choctaws Huckleberry Heathen "Finn" is out of two HRCH parents. Sire is a 500 pt HRCH w one grand pass. This was his first season to hunt picking up about 50-60 birds. Steady, honors, handles well for a youngster, blinds out to 200 yards. (22 mo). He is ready to run seasoned tests. $4,000.00" Since I'm new to Labs and what they are worth after training, would this be a good price for a dog that has been trained and hunted for one season? His pedigree on the Dam's side is pretty good with 8 dogs in the Retriever Hall of fame. That being said that doesn't mean that he will be just as good as his predecessors or does it? Any guideance would be appreciated.

I just sold one just like that for $6500.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    I just sold one just like that for $6500.
    MP
    First thanks for the reply.

Ok. I also forgot to add that the title of his add stated Finished Yellow Lab for sale. Had a guy tell me that the price was too much for this type of dog becasue he didn't have a finsihed title to his name. So is there a difference there whether he has a finished title or not to his name? Does that affect the price any?

Get someone that knows what finished level work is, to have a "test drive" with the dog/owner. Also I see no mention of any health clearances on this dog or his parents. Have you asked or looked at this?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Get someone that knows what finished level work is, to have a "test drive" with the dog/owner. Also I see no mention of any health clearances on this dog or his parents. Have you asked or looked at this?
    I haven't asked for any health clearances for the dog of his parents. That will be my next email to the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    x2

If the dog in question has no health clearances then you are taking a gamble on purchasing him. You need, OFA, CERF, EIC, and CNM at the very minimum. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a dog without health clearances. Some health checks cannot be peformed until the dog is at least 24 mos. old. Plan that "test drive" somewhere other than where the dog usually trains and get your friend to set up the test.

Lonnie Spann

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Ballpark Pricing of started-intermediate-Finished, last few years they've been low
    Started (marks, OB FF CC) ~1800-2500
    Intermediate (Started + runs blinds, water-forced etc) ~2500-5000
    Finished dog ~ 5000-9000 (female = more, Age younger =more)

Then again the price really depends on the dog, pedigree, health certs, age, titles etc. add to price. I've seen them go for a lot more, some for less.

IMO talent & skill set sells a dog. I've seen dog with titles go for a lot less than those who have never ran a test. It basically comes down to can the dog do the job, the buyer wants them to do. Also ask for a health guarantee, most sellers will offer you one on a young dog until they can get their OFA's, on an older dog a time-period for you to do the testing, or get vet certification. Still depending on age, you'd most likely know about any affected health issues by now that's one reason to buy a started dog. CNM is very early, EIC training should've shown it, Hips dogs can't move on well on bad hips-elbows. A simple vet check can ease your mind with heart-lung issues, overall health, movement etc. High money testing might not be necessary if your looking primarily for a working dog and not a breeding prospect.

If the dog is sound and does what he says $4000 is a good price. On a (22mt.) dog for this price, I'd be looking for marking ability (harder doubles-simple triples), hunting instinct, temperament, simple handling (good but, not excellent) water & land. If the dogs got that and hunting experience, I'd consider it a very good buy.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-27-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Might be a great prospect for a 22 month old, but I wouldn't use the term Finished to describe such a dog. A finished retreiver tends to have allot more training and either hunting or testing experience in them. With respect to the asking price, most Lab pups from decent litters sell for somewhere between $500 and $3,000 and are simply prospects. If this dog is out of two HRCH titled dogs, I would assume that pups would go for somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500, let's call it $1,250 to make it easy. So, we're really talking about the incremental amount of ($4,000 - $1,250) $2,750. Who did the training on this dog? The average HT pro will charge somewhere between $500 and $700 a month. If we assume $600/mo., the seller is pricing the dog at the puppy price plus a little less than 5 months of professional training and that doesn't count the cost of vet bills, feed or anything else. I'm not saying it had to be pro trained. There are some very talented amateur trainers out there too... just trying to apply a value to the amount of work that went into the dog, to date.

I agree on the health clearances. At a minimum, I would want to see clearances on both parents and some kind of guarantee on the youngster if it didn't already have clearances. You might ask why the owner is selling the dog. There are lots of good reasons, but I would be leary if the owner or trainer doesn't think the dog is going to make it. I also would want to see the dog work, in person or have a knowledgeable trainer nearby take a look for me and give me their professional opinion on where the dog really is in it's training and if it has potential to go further. If everything checks out, $4,000 might be a very reasonable price for a decent started (not necessarily finished) dog. Don't forget, some folks have to go through a few well bred puppies to get one that seems to have what it takes. With a 22 month old, you have the benefit of being able to see who the dog really is before making that decsion.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Last edited by Dan Wegner; 02-27-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

THanks for the replies and advice. Too bad he already sold the dog to someone else.

Sold, So that should tell you some thing about the price on that dog.
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon