The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trained dog prices?

Quote Originally Posted by harleymonster View Post
    THanks for the replies and advice. Too bad he already sold the dog to someone else.
    I get to sell several decent hunting dogs each year. These are dogs that are performing at the Senior HT level or higher. It is almost funny to observe how the sticker shock effects potential buyers who have never trained or bought a nice retriever. They think $5K is so high and absolutely ridiculous for a dog "just to pick up my ducks". Nothing against you, Harley, but after getting less than expected for a lower $, some of these "high priced" retrievers are a bargain after the first hunt when a guy is fighting a whiner, a breaker, hard mouth, won't stop and take a cast and all the other undesirable traits in a hunting dog.
    Somebody probably went to look at the dog mentioned in the OP, saw it was doing as advertised and snapped it up because it was a good value, relatively speaking. $4K for a nice blind running dog that had good manners is cheap IMO.
    Right now I have an outfitter group wanting a couple hunters for their clients for tyhe upcoming season and they have told me they don't want to spend over $3K. Going to be hard to find a decent dog that will be a commercial hunter and make the clients want to come back again.
    Caveat emptor
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    I get to sell several decent hunting dogs each year. These are dogs that are performing at the Senior HT level or higher. It is almost funny to observe how the sticker shock effects potential buyers who have never trained or bought a nice retriever. They think $5K is so high and absolutely ridiculous for a dog "just to pick up my ducks". Nothing against you, Harley, but after getting less than expected for a lower $, some of these "high priced" retrievers are a bargain after the first hunt when a guy is fighting a whiner, a breaker, hard mouth, won't stop and take a cast and all the other undesirable traits in a hunting dog.
    Somebody probably went to look at the dog mentioned in the OP, saw it was doing as advertised and snapped it up because it was a good value, relatively speaking. $4K for a nice blind running dog that had good manners is cheap IMO.
    Right now I have an outfitter group wanting a couple hunters for their clients for tyhe upcoming season and they have told me they don't want to spend over $3K. Going to be hard to find a decent dog that will be a commercial hunter and make the clients want to come back again.
    Caveat emptor
    MP
    I was willing to pay the $4k price for this retriever. I was curious to why people on the MMT.com forum where telling this guy that he was asking too much for his dog because he didn't have any finished titles to the dogs name. I Pm'ed one of the guys that was saying that the dog wasn't worth that amount and this is what he said, "if u r not planning on selling or breeding him it doesn't matter a finished dog can honestly be whatever u want him to be as long as he does everything that u want. But when it comes to selling and breeding the only way for someone to know the dogs training is really at a stage considered to be finished is to have titles on him to prove it for top dollar sells or breeding now if u r a big time trainer and have a lot of clients that know u and have dealt with u in the past u can probably sell them a dog that is considered finished in training but u wouldn't be posting it on Internet either".

I was willing to pay the $4k price for this retriever. I was curious to why people on the MMT.com forum where telling this guy that he was asking too much for his dog because he didn't have any finished titles to the dogs name. I Pm'ed one of the guys that was saying that the dog wasn't worth that amount and this is what he said, "if u r not planning on selling or breeding him it doesn't matter a finished dog can honestly be whatever u want him to be as long as he does everything that u want. But when it comes to selling and breeding the only way for someone to know the dogs training is really at a stage considered to be finished is to have titles on him to prove it for top dollar sells or breeding now if u r a big time trainer and have a lot of clients that know u and have dealt with u in the past u can probably sell them a dog that is considered finished in training but u wouldn't be posting it on Internet either".
    Internet advice is worth what you pay for it.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Internet advice is worth what you pay for it.
    Well since I'm offshore, its the only advice I can get right now.

Well since I'm offshore, its the only advice I can get right now.
    I was being facetious... There is a lot of good advice here. You got some already on this thread. But take the bad with the good and filter all of it with your own common sense.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I was being facetious... There is a lot of good advice here. You got some already on this thread. But take the bad with the good and filter all of it with your own common sense.
    Yes sir. Wasn't trying to sound like a smart mouth.

Yes sir. Wasn't trying to sound like a smart mouth.
    Not at all... I tend to try to use humor and it doesn't always come across in print.

Good luck on your dog search... Hope you find a good one.
    Bill Davis

Interesting preconception, I believe passes or titles to be nice, but an unnecessary $$$ investment. I need to see the dog work, anyone can get a lucky pass once in awhile. There are many dogs that I wouldn't own that have titles and many dogs who my buddy's & I would fight over that have never seen a test. The tractability & hunting experience would be the big sellers for me. I want a dog I can buy today & hunt with tomorrow, no learning curve, equals more shooting and birds for me plus i like to put my own titles on my dogs, makes the adventure so much more meaningful.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-28-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Interesting preconception, I believe passes or titles to be nice, but an unnecessary $$$ investment. I need to see the dog work, anyone can get a lucky pass once in awhile. There are many dogs that I wouldn't own that have titles and many dogs who my buddy's & I would fight over that have never seen a test. The tractability & hunting experience would be the big sellers for me. I want a dog I can buy today & hunt with tomorrow, no learning curve, equals more shooting and birds for me plus i like to put my own titles on my dogs, makes the adventure so much more meaningful.
    That's pretty much what I'm looking for. A dog that is ready to hunt.

thanks for the reply

Harley guy, have you looked in the classifieds here? There is one very nice sounding dog offered by Redstar kennel. If I were looking for a started dog, I'd look REAL HARD at this one. Yep, more expensive but maybe?
    Last edited by 2tall; 02-28-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com