The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need Advice Lardy's Indirect Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoLab21 View Post
    ....I will review the disc again to make absolutely sure the nick is on "here" and not "sit" but I can see that correcting on "here" may have caused the hesitation.
    There is also a demonstration of introducing indirect pressure with Lardy and a different dog at the end of Total E-collar Conditioning.
    I do not believe that the fact that you nicked on here vs sit, is significant.

She doesn't understand pressure. That's what is shutting her down.

It doesn't show the same dog at the same stage as the other one.Only a different dog at the 'End'.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I just have a hard time believing that her snappy compulsion during FF and her driving like a bat out of hell on a here whistle or her quick sharp sits on a sit whistle that developed over the last 5 months of yard sessions was her faking or doing it because she all of a sudden felt like it and not a product of avoidance training to escape collar correction or ear pinch.
    During walking fetch, stick fetch, and simple casting, did you get any refusals that you had to correct with ear pinch?

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    During walking fetch, stick fetch, and simple casting, did you get any refusals that you had to correct with ear pinch?
    During the beginning of walking fetch yes but I just attributed that to learning the new drill concept. After awhile I would reach for her ear and she would be gone. Stick fetch was an easier transition it seemed as she accepted the stick in place of the ear pinch rather well. In simple casting, after teaching the drill in a progressive manner (1 bumper, 2 bumpers, pile, piles, back pile, etc.) I didn't get refusals that I needed to correct with ear pinch I would just replace "over" with "fetch" and it worked every time to where I didnt have to ear pinch her to the pile.
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

Finally got my hands on some fresh birds so I'm going to give them to the pups on marks today. Hopefully it peps up her attitude a bit.

During the beginning of walking fetch yes but I just attributed that to learning the new drill concept. After awhile I would reach for her ear and she would be gone. Stick fetch was an easier transition it seemed as she accepted the stick in place of the ear pinch rather well. In simple casting, after teaching the drill in a progressive manner (1 bumper, 2 bumpers, pile, piles, back pile, etc.) I didn't get refusals that I needed to correct with ear pinch I would just replace "over" with "fetch" and it worked every time to where I didnt have to ear pinch her to the pile.
    From your posts, it looks like your pup figured out how to beat the pressure while you were doing FF, stick fetch, walking fetch, etc.

Assuming it is not a heat issue, my question to you that only you can answer is whether you took the next step and required your pup to actually work through the pressure and figure out how to turn it off rather than avoid it. As I was told by the trainer who FFd mine and then showed me, the usual mistake is stopping after you get the snappy compulsion - avoidance - and not making them work through the pressure and still complete the task.

IOW, when you were doing FF, did you let go of the ear when your pup dove at the bumper? Or did you continue the pinch all the way through the fetch? When you got to collar fetch, how did you do that?

If you know you did all this, then I would agree with the other posters who have said it sounds like your pup is just confused about what you are asking her to do.

Good luck.

Got everything figured out...became a totally different dog coming off the heat cycle and is back to normal. Made sure I was putting in enough marking training as well as yard work to balance everything out and we completed indirect pressure. Now moving to collar fetch.