The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice Lardy's Indirect Pressure

Wayne, thanks for the advice that makes sense and ill give it a try.
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    So Copter doc How would you suggest the OP figure out if the dog knows how to respond to pressure?
    I think that she's telling him that she doesn't.

And I think that he should believe what she is telling him.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBernardi View Post
    "No, here (nick), sit".

I read that and thought you need to go back and review the DVDs up to the point you are at. Read the manual as well.

The above is an inconsistant use of force and command.
    That line stood out to me also. ONE command at a time, let the dog finish the command, and it would be Sit. This is one that you really need to see the dog and handler in action. Can you tape it?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    So Copter doc How would you suggest the OP figure out if the dog knows how to respond to pressure?

Maybe?,get the dog to read the manual?..Rather than the Handler read the dog?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoLab21 View Post
    "No, here (nick), sit". .
    IMO this is a big part of the problem.

When you give an indirect correction the object is to refocus the dog's attention to what he is doing , so drop the word "no" from the sequence and don't try to bring the dog in with "here".

The proper sequence is Tweet-(pause) nic- tweet, then recast.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Undertanding the programme over the last few months(for a Limey that is!), I would have thought that the communication tool was 'Not' any word spoken?..here,or there,or sit ?
    Confused?.....Surely if the dog has been trained(learned) the action, ''Why would you require to continue 'telling it'?"...Just a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Undertanding the programme over the last few months(for a Limey that is!), I would have thought that the communication tool was 'Not' any word spoken?..here,or there,or sit ?
    Confused?.....Surely if the dog has been trained(learned) the action, ''Why would you require to continue 'telling it'?"...Just a thought?
    I fail to see how your posts are relevant to the conversation other than being antagonistic in nature. A command is a directive of action not an inquiry so yes I'm "telling" my dog to do something rather than giving it a choice on doing whatever it wants or communicating with it telepathically as you have proposed.

Anyways, I will attempt to have a buddy tape it if I can. Some of the posts make complete sense and I could have definitely caused the hesitation to cast with the "here (nick)" instead of a "sit (nick)". In the initial correction video sequence Lardy gives a right over and the dog goes right back, he then gives a stern "No!" which slows the dog and turns its head towards him, he then gives a "here (nick)" then stops the dog at the front finish with a "sit" and casts again. I will review the disc again to make absolutely sure the nick is on "here" and not "sit" but I can see that correcting on "here" may have caused the hesitation.

Thanks
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

HEAT!

Just went through the HEAT CRAZIES, myself and was astounded at the "mind dump" as you put it. I let mine have about 5 days off until I could tell she was feeling normal again. Then we went out and reviewed what we worked on before the crazies - she was totally back to normal and I might even say better than ever. A big relief!

Give her some time off and give her love and a comfortable place to sleep and interact with you in the house. In my opinion, putting a dog in an outside kennel with no interaction and just prison treatment after having all this pressure and confusion in the "yard" tells her your ability to communicate with each other is poor and may make her all the more unsure about what you're doing in training.

Just my non FC/AFC owning opinion.

I fail to see how your posts are relevant to the conversation other than being antagonistic in nature. A command is a directive of action not an inquiry so yes I'm "telling" my dog to do something rather than giving it a choice on doing whatever it wants or communicating with it telepathically as you have proposed.

Anyways, I will attempt to have a buddy tape it if I can. Some of the posts make complete sense and I could have definitely caused the hesitation to cast with the "here (nick)" instead of a "sit (nick)". In the initial correction video sequence Lardy gives a right over and the dog goes right back, he then gives a stern "No!" which slows the dog and turns its head towards him, he then gives a "here (nick)" then stops the dog at the front finish with a "sit" and casts again. I will review the disc again to make absolutely sure the nick is on "here" and not "sit" but I can see that correcting on "here" may have caused the hesitation.

Thanks
    YUP!..And that would be 'Him', with 'His' dog?...Not 'You' with 'Your' dog.?.....Or did you think I was relating them all as 'machines'? I do apologies.

Ok! Let me put it in a more 'pc' format. If You have already trained the dog to do a particular action,there is no requirement for you to repeat that command?..If You do ,then that would mean the dog has not learned that particular action.'Telling the dog' ,would indicate that the dog requires direction,rather than the dog having learned from the training. It's not ''Telepathic'' , It's a learned behaviour that does not require a command (In my very humble opinion).
    Last edited by polmaise; 03-05-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Copy the script