The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil

Default Fish Oil

I'am sure this topic has been debated however,I cannot find any information on any debates.
    just wondering how many trainers give this supplement to there dogs? Anybody use this for a dog with allergies or dry skin?
    Thanks in advance

One of our OLD dogs (stays in the house, sleeps next to my bed) had dry, flakey skin and had a bad odor. Put her on two fish oil capsuls a day over a year ago. Now has pretty coat, free of odor and only scratches now and then. We both feel better! Dee Dee really is like a new dog--- MAYBE i OUGHT TO TRY IT MYSELF. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

I have been giving 1200 mg of fish oil daily to my dogs for many years.
    Have never had one with skin, coat or related problems. Don't know if it's the fish oil or not but plan t keep on giving it.
    ps: they also get a cooked egg every day.
    Ray K

SHR Princess Lillian Vl
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke SH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01

Yes, i recently tried large doses listed in this article. Sort of hard of to calculate with info as written but doable. http://www.dcavm.org/05apr.html
    If you have dog with allergies this article (and others by author) has an incredable amount of useful information.
    excerpt:
    Fatty Acids

Although controversy still exists as to which fatty acids to use in optimizing anti-pruritic effects, products rich in n-3 fatty acids (cold water fish oils and flaxseed) appear to be favored. Using an n-3 fatty acid product (3 V Caps, DVM) at bottle dosages, significant improvement is seen in 10 - 15% of patients (10 - 90% improvement). A very small study showed superior antipruritic effects with very high dose omega 3 fatty acids (180 mg eicosapentaenoic (EPA)acid and 120 mg docosahexanoic acid (DHA) / 10 lb. body weight per day; Logas et al Vet Dermatology, 1994). A study recently completed at CSU appears to support this data. For those dogs receiving 50 - 85 mg/kg of EPA and 35 - 55 mg/kg DHA (equivalent to 1 Giant breed 3V Cap capsule per 5 kg body weight) or 200 - 335 mg/kg of flaxseed oil per day, 40 - 50% improved by greater than 50%. Complete remission was obtained in 10 - 20%. This suggests that higher dosages of omega 3 fatty acids should be used to initiate/assess therapy (e.g. 2-3 times the bottle dosages). Although it has been suggested that fatty acid containing products should be given at least a 12 week trial before they are critically evaluated, it was noted that most individuals had improved within the first 2-3 weeks of therapy in this study. Deleterious side effects are uncommon but include gastrointestinal upsets, increased pruritus and pancreatitis. Although high dose therapy could conceivably result in decreased neutrophil reactivity, decreased clotting and decreased wound healing, this has not been seen in clinical studies nor with clinical use.
    Last edited by Breck; 03-19-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Yes, i recently tried large doses listed in this article. Sort of hard of to calculate with info as written but doable. http://www.dcavm.org/05apr.html
    If you have dog with allergies this article (and others by author) has an incredable amount of useful information.
    excerpt:
    Fatty Acids

Although controversy still exists as to which fatty acids to use in optimizing anti-pruritic effects, products rich in n-3 fatty acids (cold water fish oils and flaxseed) appear to be favored. Using an n-3 fatty acid product (3 V Caps, DVM) at bottle dosages, significant improvement is seen in 10 - 15% of patients (10 - 90% improvement). A very small study showed superior antipruritic effects with very high dose omega 3 fatty acids (180 mg eicosapentaenoic (EPA)acid and 120 mg docosahexanoic acid (DHA) / 10 lb. body weight per day; Logas et al Vet Dermatology, 1994). A study recently completed at CSU appears to support this data. For those dogs receiving 50 - 85 mg/kg of EPA and 35 - 55 mg/kg DHA (equivalent to 1 Giant breed capsule per 5 kg body weight) or 200 - 335 mg/kg of flaxseed oil per day, 40 - 50% improved by greater than 50%. Complete remission was obtained in 10 - 20%. This suggests that higher dosages of omega 3 fatty acids should be used to initiate/assess therapy (e.g. 2-3 times the bottle dosages). Although it has been suggested that fatty acid containing products should be given at least a 12 week trial before they are critically evaluated, it was noted that most individuals had improved within the first 2-3 weeks of therapy in this study. Deleterious side effects are uncommon but include gastrointestinal upsets, increased pruritus and pancreatitis. Although high dose therapy could conceivably result in decreased neutrophil reactivity, decreased clotting and decreased wound healing, this has not been seen in clinical studies nor with clinical use.

Interesting article and Long. Thanks. I have been using Salmon oil 1 capsule a day.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    One of our OLD dogs (stays in the house, sleeps next to my bed) had dry, flakey skin and had a bad odor. Put her on two fish oil capsuls a day over a year ago. Now has pretty coat, free of odor and only scratches now and then. We both feel better! Dee Dee really is like a new dog--- MAYBE i OUGHT TO TRY IT MYSELF. Bill
    I take two fish oil pills a day just like my dogs. So far I don't have flaky skin, but so sure about my odor.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Interesting article and Long. Thanks. I have been using Salmon oil 1 capsule a day.
    Many folks give one fish oil cap a day. However......
    Dogs with skin issues can benefit from much larger dosages it seems.
    One Giant Breed 3V capsule (referenced in article) contains about the same amount of EPA & DHA as your typical salmon oil cap. If you run the calculations a 75 Lb / 34 Kg dog could be given around 7 typical fish oil capsules per day or between 7,000 & 11,000 mg flax seed oil per day.
    Last edited by Breck; 03-19-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Many folks give one fish oil cap a day. However......
    Dogs with skin issues can benefit from much larger dosages it seems.
    One Giant Breed 3V capsule (referenced in article) contains about the same amount of EPA & DHA as your typical salmon oil cap. If you run the calculations a 75 Lb / 34 Kg dog could be given around 7 typical fish oil capsules per day or between 7,000 & 11,000 mg flax seed oil per day.
    Thanks Breck. Will try and gotta read the info closer tomorrow when I am off work.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Gumbo gets 1200 mg daily.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)