The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two monumental threads going on what about a question-solution combining both?

Default Two monumental threads going on what about a question-solution combining both?

So right now we got the Limited entry MH HT, and the FT lack of judging thread. HT boiling down to too many MH people filling up tests at record rates; and FT boiling down to not enough FT people, taking over the reins.

SO Off the wall solution, I'm sure someone will tell me the rules don't allow it but let's theorize?

AKC allows for a Hunt test club to run a Qualifying stake in conjunction with it's tests, I've been to a few so I know they do happen. It's not usually a big draw in the HT circuit but...

My question would be can a AKC FT club run a Master Hunt test stake in conjunction with their trial?

If they could it would open up one more hunt test for the master people to go to and with the race to the MNH; it would pretty much guarantee a FT club at least 60 extra entries, more than many Derbies and Qualifying stakes combined. It would also get the HT people out to a field trial, something most have never bothered to do. Who knows might even put some interest out to run it, even if it didn't 60 extra dogs (@ $80+ a pop) can add some flexibility to a test. If such were offered I'd most likely put a dog in the Qual and the MH; that way if we went out in one we might be sticking around, to finish the other. If I'm sticking around I might go to a BBQ/Raffle, might throw some birds and take a look at the other stakes; rather than driving home . Now logistics could be a pain, might want to run this or that stake to make it manageable, but it's an idea .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Yes - and a very good idea. There was some talk earlier in the year about the SD Retriever club doing this over in Niland but the idea has fizzled out.

That's no different than offering another flight of master at a HT really. You still have the problem of not enough help or grounds for most clubs.

The true problem in both venues is lack of dedicated individuals training and running their own dogs. In the field trials judges are needed. In hunt tests marshals, shooters and judges are needed. The best place to find those qualified individuals is among the group that train and campaign their own dogs. The next best place is individuals that pay for training but step up to the line themselves.
    Mark Land

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jfowler View Post
    Yes - and a very good idea. There was some talk earlier in the year about the SD Retriever club doing this over in Niland but the idea has fizzled out.
    Interesting....why did it fizzle?
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Probably fizzled because 2 to 3 hours from anywhere. The ones in the area are all FT pros or ams.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Wow Master, Open, amat, qual and Derby. I would quite and never work at a field venue again.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    So right now we got the Limited entry MH HT, and the FT lack of judging thread. HT boiling down to too many MH people filling up tests at record rates; and FT boiling down to not enough FT people, taking over the reins.

SO Off the wall solution, I'm sure someone will tell me the rules don't allow it but let's theorize?

AKC allows for a Hunt test club to run a Qualifying stake in conjunction with it's tests, I've been to a few so I know they do happen. It's not usually a big draw in the HT circuit but...

My question would be can a AKC FT club run a Master Hunt test stake in conjunction with their trial?
    Only if they are HT licensed and then it would have to be set up as a separate event and conform to the guidelines.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post

Since we are dealing in theory the common soultion would be sponsoring club being given real administrative control of their event.
    Clubs would put on the size, type and number of stakes/test per date that they are best equipped to handle. The clubs know the limitations of their resources and those resources vary. One size does not fit all. It is the clubs that are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of tests and/or trials not the AKC. Therefore, they not the AKC should be the final decision on what would produce the best product.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Only if they are HT licensed and then it would have to be set up as a separate event and conform to the guidelines.

zactly!
    it is kinda, sorta, almost done now.
    like when the Golden or Chessie folks do a week long event with field trial and hunt test and all that jazz.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin