RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Six Months - Puppy Story

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  KwickLabs 
#1 ·
It's almost spring and puppies are on everyone’s mind. "What to do" seems appropriate for many. Buy a DVD, books or program and just do it. Mentors can be helpful, too. However, most of this advice is solid if one accepts that every puppy is different. Add to this the complexity of environmental differences and the situation demands a well researched initial plan. How much time is available and goals are significant factors. If you've been there before there is always the possibility of improving. Puppies are not simple.

Taking all that into consideration, here is the "time line" of one pup from the day he was C-sectioned into his world. Gunny's first breath wasn't easy. Keep in mind every pup is different and progress is often in "fits and jumps" depending on many variables. The “good” is often all that you read about, but “the bad and ugly” can happen. How those rougher times are dealt with may make a huge difference.

In terms of environment, Gunny's owner/trainer is retired and there are three older dogs in the "pack". Retriever training was already a routine in which he had to adjust to. Gunny received his own special, individual times as he "got up to speed".

Every single day of Gunny's first six months have been detailed. It's a true story (no fiction or missing gaps).

Chapter One
”Testing the Waters” (link)

Chapter Two
”Exploring” (link)

See less See more
#3 ·
Dang, that must have been a lot of work. Great post!

#5 ·
Wow Kwicklabs this is a great read. If you dont' mind I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. First, tethering in the living room, you just put him on a 6' leash and thats his distance? I haven't tried that with my 8 week old, are you saying that this helps with the biting?

Also, you mention sleeping in the quiet room in his crate, at this point do you have him sleep through the night without airing? Mine sleeps in the crate but usually once per night I have to get up and let him outside, then right back in crate which usually takes a while for him to quiet back down.

Just curious on your techniques and/or any other advice.

Thanks

#6 ·
Wow Jim Fantastic story and records you have been keeping. Also like your diagrams you offered up in another thread. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with Gunny's journey.

#9 · (Edited)
First, tethering in the living room, you just put him on a 6' leash and that is his distance? I haven't tried that with my 8 week old, are you saying that this helps with the biting?
Actually, the six foot leash becomes a bit shorter since I wrap it around my leg. Also, I use a short piece of soft nylon anchor rope because they will chew and ruin an expensive leash. And yes, these sessions definitely help with biting issues. Too many times (early on) the pup is free to run when he bites and corrections are ill timed. Being loose allows issues to develop. Tethering sessions prevent the “mongoose dance”.

Several things happen while tethered 1) the pup can't really avoid a muzzle correction if he bites, 2) the soft collar/tether condition the pup to "giving neck", 3) the pup discovers "doing nothing" can be fun/relaxing, 4) if you decide to provide a pig ear the pup can be taught that it is his "when you say so" (helps with possessive behaviors and growling), 5) the meaning of “no” is easily imprinted and 6) the pup learns it is about "us" not just him.

Also, you mention sleeping in the quiet room in his crate, at this point do you have him sleep through the night without airing? Mine sleeps in the crate but usually once per night I have to get up and let him outside, then right back in crate which usually takes a while for him to quiet back down.
The "quiet room" is actually the pool room. It is warm and pretty much sound proof. The pup sleeps there at night and I get up (alarm clock) and take the pup out in gradually lengthened intervals. Afterward, I have no idea how long it takes for a pup to quiet down and everyone in the house sleeps well. ;)

During the day he stays in his own crate near the older dogs in the main house (gradual introduction to this new routine). His physical interactions with the “pack” are greatly limited and closely monitored until he is bigger......but the pup is near them all the time after the first few months and travels everyday on training trips in his own crate.

It should be noted that since I'm retired daily time available for the dogs/pup is much easier "to find".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.