The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Question?

Default Breeding Question?

Has anyone ever bred labs where both of the parents have the same mother, so the puppies would have the same g-ma on both sides? Is this just to close? Thanks.

Of course people have done it. Whether it's too close depends on your comfort level for inbreeding and your knowledge of all the good AND bad in the pedigree.

yeesh...a little close if you ask me.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Breedings that tight are not unheard of in breeds that have smaller gene pools in Labs, but even with Chesapeakes, it's closer than most folks are comfortable with. That said...my best dog is a result of an accidental breeding: her sire got out at 14 mos. and got to his half sister (same dam). That 10 second tie resulted in 9 puppies. They actually sold fast; I priced them inexpensively and disclosed the circumstances of the accidental mating as well as the fact that the sire wasn't old enough to have his hips evaluated. One pup got stepped on by a horse at 8 wks. with what looked like a severe, possibly crippling injury, so I had to refund that buyer's money. Although the pup healed amazingly fast, she had a hard time learning how to swim normally and I couldn't even find a nice pet giveaway home for her and well...she never left. She did learn to swim finally, and I had her force fetched at 14 mos. by a friend thinking she'd be saleable as a started dog but as circumstances would have it, lost her dam in a freak accident so finally decided to keep her. She's not only an incredibly good marking dog, she's our favorite, and everyone that meets her loves her. I still have her only grandmother, too, my wonderful old bitch Puffin, now 13+. Rather than hide her inbred beginnings, I registered Panda as Hope Springs Double Puff.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Line breeding has been done for years by the hound people. You will get the best and some faults, I myself will only line breed. I have what I want and will breed her this week. The Grandsire is the same on both sides now breeding back to a half brother to the sire. Not for everyone but it produces what you want if you have what you want in the dogs already.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Of course people have done it. Whether it's too close depends on your comfort level for inbreeding and your knowledge of all the good AND bad in the pedigree.
    Good post. You need to know the good and the bad as you will get both with inbreeding. It's too close for my comfort level. Labs have an extensive gene pool. Why would you breed half-siblings?

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Labs have an extensive gene pool. Why would you breed half-siblings?
    That may be true of the general population of Labradors in the US but in field trial/performance Labradors that is not true, just look at 5 or 6 generation pedigrees and you will find most of them related to one degree or another.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Good post. You need to know the good and the bad as you will get both with inbreeding. It's too close for my comfort level. Labs have an extensive gene pool. Why would you breed half-siblings?
    Accidents happen, as in my case. Fortunately the dog they were doubled up on, was my own Puffin, and her lineage was well known to me since I also owned/bred her dam, grand- and great granddams, so I was pretty lucky with my inbred litter. I do like line breeding as I think you get much more uniform quality but my comfort level with it is probably greater than the average Lab breeder due to the relatively small gene pool plus the fact that all Chesapeakes are related if you go back 3 or 4 generations so it's hard to avoid.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

This is Chena River No Surprise's pedigree. She was an FC and a good producer.

http://www.gooddoginfo.com/gdc/asp/v...sp?DogNo=12469
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Our aristocracy have been doing it for centuries!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever