The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Breeding, whelping, raising and training

Default Breeding, whelping, raising and training

This is gonna sound a bit silly, but I'm curious if any of you all have different emotional ties to a pup out of a litter that you have bred and decided to keep-LOL?
    We have a 16 month old female out of our FC/AFC-Esprits Power Play x Copper daughter breeding. She is 1 of 3 dogs that we own. As much as we love our 2 older girls our baby Sweet has become the "Queen" of our home. I swear that her training has evolved at a snails pace due to her being pampered like a royal child. She is quite the character. Smart, hard driving, biddable, and crazy athletic. But babied by yours truly!!!
    Now this is not the first time I've bred, raised, and trained one of my pups, but the last time I kept 2 pups and sold one at 7 months.
    Anyone else guilty of, in the words of my better half Joanna, "baby girl-ing" a pup that you've raised from birth?
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam of FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Jiggy, Kate, and sweet mama Dancy!!!

absolutely...we have a trio of littermates currently...one was our stud choice, the second we purchased because we didn't want it sold as a pet...and we just got back a third that went to a nice home, but then the owners health declined and when we were informed that the owner's wife was going to either give the dog away or worse, my SIL went over and picked the dog immediately before any other action was taken

We couldn't be happier with the way it has worked out...its our bloodline...la familia
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Awe David you're just a big softy, cream puff, putty in their hands....... I'm the same way. I just wish I was half as good as these dogs think I am.
    Best regards
    There is something about the ouside of a dog which makes the inside of man feel good

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Marshall View Post
    Awe David you're just a big softy, cream puff, putty in their hands....... I'm the same way. I just wish I was half as good as these dogs think I am.
    Best regards
    True that!!
    Probably didn't help that we lost our 12 yr old Cosmo pup that we bred and raised 2 weeks before Sweet was born. Joanna says that I "don't love that pup, I'm in love with her". I told her that comment was just plain weird-LOL!!!
    Last edited by David Maddox; 07-27-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Birthplace to:
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam of FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

We have one that we had to nurse the first 24 hrs. After that she passed up all other 7 pups. Of course we had to keep her. Spoiled rotten already.

I have that problem with all the pups I breed. Sometimes you just have to harden the heart for the good of the pup though. The pup I kept from my last litter is just a sweet heart and I think the world of her. I could have sold her twice but just couldn't do it. But when it comes to her training the bar gets raised and she is required to preform. When not training though she can do as she likes with the exception of messing up the house.

Sweet's basics were done on the typical timeline but force work was put off due to the fact that I hate doing it and mom said that she wasn't going to a pro or anywhere else-LOL!!!

Birthplace to:
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH

Call me harsh, but I don't have a problem seeing them go. I know the feeling of having favorites.I like to go and visit the ones I can once they get established in their new homes. I have a hard time when training the new pup when the old loyal dog wants to please me and can't hardly contain themselves!
    Joel

Guilty! Love the puppies I raise from the start. It's amazing watching the cycle go from breeding to picking a puppy to training to first bird/ribbon.
    Smitty's Blazin' Red Oak JH (Blaze)
    Flatwater's Full Draw (Arrow)
    Flatwater's Red Label (Ruger)

Nothing like a litter of pups. Work? Lots, but you can watch them change every day. Have a Boykin bred now and will be breeding my lab as soon as she is "ready". Don't know if I will keep a Boykin but can't wait to watch the lab male pups. Been a long time since I've had a black male but it's time.