The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How slow is too slow - FF

Default How slow is too slow - FF

I am force fetching my first dog. I'm in contact with a trainer and my boss is also helping me, so I have a couple good resources, but I wanted to get some thoughts from some of you.

After getting a solid hold, my 8 mo ylf and I moved onto ear pinch last Sunday. So, today we are on Day 8. She's got the pressure on/off. There are times when she snaps to it and other times when she grits her teeth for 3 or 4 seconds before reluctantly reaching and grabbing. The reluctance comes as I move the bumper farther away. Most is probably a foot or so right now.

Ive contacted the owner of my pup's father (runs a hunting lodge/trains) and he says that he's seen a few going slow and said keep with it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced a dog going slow and if it caused any issues for you. Granted, I don't want this to be drawn out any more than it has to, but I'm not too worried if she takes longer than most. Any comments/advice is appreciated.
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by nogie1717 View Post
    I am force fetching my first dog. I'm in contact with a trainer and my boss is also helping me, so I have a couple good resources, but I wanted to get some thoughts from some of you.

After getting a solid hold, my 8 mo ylf and I moved onto ear pinch last Sunday. So, today we are on Day 8. She's got the pressure on/off. There are times when she snaps to it and other times when she grits her teeth for 3 or 4 seconds before reluctantly reaching and grabbing. The reluctance comes as I move the bumper farther away. Most is probably a foot or so right now.

Ive contacted the owner of my pup's father (runs a hunting lodge/trains) and he says that he's seen a few going slow and said keep with it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced a dog going slow and if it caused any issues for you. Granted, I don't want this to be drawn out any more than it has to, but I'm not too worried if she takes longer than most. Any comments/advice is appreciated.
    I think they all have their own pace. I just finished one pup last month in December (he is 9.5 months now) that started FF training the first week of October. My other pup was much faster, about three weeks. She is now in the same place on pile work as the former mentioned hard case who started FF in October.

Oh, if you didn't know they figure out FF ain't fun after about 8 days. LOL Good luck, stick with it. The dog will eventually get it.
    Last edited by freezeland; 01-26-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

My youngest pup took 7 days before she would open her mouth, much less reach for it.

I started with my pup at 9 months. I knew he was gonna be hard headed. It took us about 2.5 -3 months. For my first dog and having to take a week or 2 off due to travel for work I think he came out better than I expected. Stick with it. Things seem to come together for them out of nowhere. I also learned not to discount the value of a couple days off where you let the pup be a pup.

They do indeed each have their own pace. Take your time, and remember FF should not be a matter of simply forcing a dog to comply. It's pressure conditioning. Conditioning takes time. Also remember that praise is a big part of the process. What's in it for the dog?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Could take a while, but relax. Follow Evan's program and keep at it...however long it takes. Periodically, have a professional trainer evaluate dog's performance and critique your technique. Most people will tell you that the FF process is one of the most critical training steps, so it's important to ensure no short cuts are taken.

Just wanted to give an update for those who are interested. After Day 8, I went on a sales route for work and even though I had my pup with me, I decided to take those three days off from force fetch. Since we got back her response has been off the charts. I'm now close to the ground and, despite wanting to test her, I'm keeping the transition steady and making sure she gets it right. Also, I'm holding her back slightly and she shows no hesitation pulling through the slight resistance when commanded to fetch.

For those who posted, I want to give you a sincere thank you. This is my first go round and the reassurances/tips help me remain optimistic. I used to teach high school and these AHA! moments with my dog remind me so much of seeing a student grasp a concept. Very rewarding!
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

Good for you Lucas. Sometimes we all just need a break, even the dog. FF is stressful to them and us if we let be. A couple days break can do wonders. You will find this to be true as you move through the other facets of your dogs training. Wait until walking fetch LOL. And then Force to Pile. Patience patience patience, and a little more patience. Good luck, see ya on the other board
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)