The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Forum Searching - How to Optimize your Search for Topics

Default Forum Searching - How to Optimize your Search for Topics

All,

I recently recall a post where someone wrote that the search function built into our software leaves much to be desired.

The recent "You Know You're a Retriever Person When..." thread. got me searching and I had trouble. I knew that a similar thread existed elsewhere. But I could not find it.

Google has an advanced search that is very cool. I know others have posted such a link in the past, but I could not find it through RTF's search function. I'd suggest you guys give this a try. It seems to work much better.

Go here: Google Advanced Search Page Or this URL: http://www.google.com/advanced_search

In the top field, you will see a space to input whatever search items or words you like. OR

In the 2nd field down, you seen a space to put an exact quote in quotation marks. For my test, I used "You know you're a".

The key is to then scroll down to the "site or domain" thread and enter: http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/, then execute your search.

If you enter the exact phrase in the example shown above in the 2nd field, and list the RTF domain for the domain, you will find a thread from a few years ago that says something like: "You know you're a retriever person when your christmas list has (X)" ...

Here's the results page from that advanced search.

Please give it a try. It may save you some headache. Thanks Google!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thanks Chris. I'm one of those that tried the search function some years ago and quit it in frustration. I haven't tried it since, though I don't post many questions. I'll try this new one.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Thanks Chris. I'm one of those that tried the search function some years ago and quit it in frustration. I haven't tried it since, though I don't post many questions. I'll try this new one.
    John
    I think you'll find it to be much more effective!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thanks for the info for us newbies!
    Creighton

Advance search is really helpful, with this we find better results. Its accuracy level and efficiency is good.

Thanks for the write up.

yes advanced search is very helpful to find forums

e first thing that needs to be understood is that dogs and people are different enough that most of the info cannot cross lines. I do not profess to know what the appropriate procedures for people other than what I learned in first aid.