The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri-Tronics Pro 500 Intensity Levels

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I think it goes 1L 2L 3L, 1M 2M 3M, 1H 2H 3H, etc. etc. That is from using an "antique" test light. I will say if you use a light you will agree that a 2H is definitely higher than a 3L probably higher than a 4L or 5L. That is at least in the light gets much brighter on the 2H.

You can definitely hear the pulse change on the higher settings if you hold it up to your ear.

As someone else already said, it matters little. You have the option of a L, M, and a high on each setting, without changing the dial up or down. If a 2H isn't enough you go to a 3H and have the option to use 3M and 3L.

If 2H wasn't quite enough, you wouldn't want a 2H to be your medium setting requiring that you rotate to a 3L for your high setting then back down to 2H for your medium and then your 2M would actually be your low setting. I think the way TT does it is the best way.

That is what you would have to do if the order was sequential.

This makes the most sense to me.

If it was sequencial over the whole range and you wanted to go up or down a step or two it would require rotating the dial between levels.
    I like the way this is written.

Whether you are choosing momentary or continuous mode, you are picking, with TT Pro series collars (Flyway included) a RANGE with your dial setting. Then you have instantaneous capability to go up and down the range with immediate choices, that take away the need to lose time or focus by having to turn a knob.

I am NOT touching my ear or zapping myself today. But just for the heck of it, I'm using my Pro 500 and listening to the sound at the prongs.

A 4 high continuous is a pretty loud, higher pitched, rapidly pulsing sound that is easy to hear. A 5 low is a much lower pitched clackety sounding slower pulse. It makes sense just to the sound that a 4 high is going to stimulate the dog much more than a 5 low.

Try it - no pain or test lights needed. P.S. Don't touch your ear to the contacts!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Don't over analyze this.

The only scale you need to think about, is the dial. That's what you set to match the dog.

Which button you push, depends on the circumstance.
    If you can't keep from over-thinking this, you are better off with just one button to choose from.
    Thats why I went with the EXP 90,Simple 2 buttons,nick and continues on each number.

But I have often wondered if the levels are the same per style. what level L,M,H 2 on a Pro 500 is the same intensity as a 2 on my EXP 90 ?
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 03-03-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I went back and checked again... 4 low weaker than 3 high, 3 low weaker than 2 high, 2 low weaker than 1 high.... Significantly.

The new Pro 500 G3 EXP is charged, so I put the old test light on it and did the same experiment... same results as above.

Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    Think of the dial as setting a group of correction levels and the buttons giving you a range of corrections within that group. Through training you can find the settings group that gets the appropriate response for the infraction. The High setting needs to be enough to get a behavior change during a reasonably extreme distraction or continued lack of effort. Therefore you would want Low to be just a bump. 3H is pretty hot. If I train on 4, I do not want. 4L to be hotter than 3H. I want 4L to be low correction. I don't want to change the dial to get the range I want between Low, Med, and High.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I agree, this is absolutley how it is designed to work.
    X2 this nailes it best. EDIT - Like way back when we had plugs in our collar and one dog was a yellow plug and another was green or red plug. Once you figgered out the lever of a dog you used low med high in that level. Not many scampered out and went from a yellow to a red plug while running the dog?
    And I agree with CopterDoc, don't think too much.
    the wait for spring is grinding hard if a bunch of us all and sitting and shocking ourself.
    a size of 2x4 for the Chessie folks is sure to follow
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 03-03-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    X2 this nailes it best. EDIT - Like way back when we had plugs in our collar and one dog was a yellow plug and another was green or red plug. Once you figgered out the lever of a dog you used low med high in that level. Not many scampered out and went from a yellow to a red plug while running the dog?
    And I agree with CopterDoc, don't think too much.
    the wait for spring is grinding hard if a bunch of us all and sitting and shocking ourself.
    a size of 2x4 for the Chessie folks is sure to follow
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    ....But I have often wondered if the levels are the same per style. what level L,M,H 2 on a Pro 500 is the same intensity as a 2 on my EXP 90 ?
    I have a Pro-500xl and a Field 90 G3. The Pro-500 medium, is about the same as the Field-90.
    But, the Field 90 is a hair hotter. Could just be that it's the G3.

I don't know how you guys use your Pro-500, but I have always started by finding which number works best for each of my dogs, then I just set that number for that dog, and use the low to high buttons on the fly. I don't overthink where a high number three is compared to a low four. It's kind of like the coices you have with a ten speed bike, there are numerous combinations of large-small front chainwheel versus the many rear freewheels, you figure out what works best after practice.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Try re-reading what I said a few times and maybe it'll click for you. Then again...

No. What I'm telling you is that as a newbie trainer I wanted to KNOW what my dog was feeling before I used the collar on my dog. I wanted to know the pressures I was putting on him. In my mind any trainer worth his/her salt has done this so he knows how to be fair to his dog. That makes me a better trainer in my mind because it makes me think before pushing a button. Understand now?

I haven't trained with a dog in almost 4 years, and haven't used the collar for the same time period. I like to think that I've gained some knowledge since then and would use the collar far less than I did back then. I've been considering trying to train a dog without a collar just to see how far I can get. I suppose some would have a problem with that choice.

I'm not saying that things couldn't get mixed up from the factory. I'm not even going to sit here and swear up and down that these "backward" claims aren't true. I haven't used a meter on a collar and don't plan on it. If it's not what I said it was, and what Tri-tronics said was the order of operation, then mine will be gone...plain and simple...and for one reason only, ease of use without looking. That collars popularity, and by design in my opinion, is attributed to its ease of use without having to look down at the collar to know what level you're on.

However, I will "sit here" and tell anyone that anything other than how I described the levels defeats the purpose of "knowing where you're at on the collar without looking". It simply does not make sense. In no way am I saying some colors aren't like this, but I am telling you that mine isn't.

The collar is labled...in a logical progression...anything else is working backward. The point isn't that a meter won't show that 1L,1M,1H,2L,2M,2H,3L,3M, 3H, etc., as the meter may indeed show something different. The point is that the numbers in this case, and generally when kids start counting, work forward beginning with #1, #2, #3, etc., and the buttons ARE bottom is low, top is medium, and both together=high and function in a logical progression...at least my collar does. If anyone else's doesn't then I'd suggest sending it back, and buying another brand.

If Tri-tronics did indeed, on purpose, make ALL of their Pro500 collars so that a 2H is hotter than a 3L, then I am saying that was flat out stupid on Tri-tronics part. Again, all I can tell you is that I know what my collar does...or did. The batteries are dead right now, and they may stay that way.
    I believe Tritronic did in fact design the collar to function that way, and it's not stupid at all. As I said in my prior post, the collar's are intended to be set with the number as a constant for each dog, with the low-med-high buttons used on the fly. It would be awkward to have to fumble with buttons and twist dial while the dog was running.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 03-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Thank you John R. I can't believe anyone actually believes they are being "mislead" or that it is bad design. If its going to take you that long to decide on which level of which number you need right now, maybe you need to put the thing away and just watch your dog some. I do occasionally find fault with some TT items, but I think the P500G3 is genius in action.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Last two posts... Exactly... Generally you want it on the lowest level the dog reacts to anyway. You still have two levels of upward stimulation to go... The dog doesn't care if its a 3H or a 4L or 4M or whatever.
    Bill Davis