RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Tri-Tronics Pro 500 Intensity Levels

12K views 78 replies 26 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
I just received my new Tri-Tronics collar. I am getting my equipment ready for my new BLF pup coming home mid-April. I called Tri-Tronics but didn't get a satisfactory answer and was told someone more knowledgable would call me back. They didin't.

My question is: What is a higher level of stimulation, Low 6 or Medium 1? Does the scale of intensity go #1 L, M, H; #2 L, M, H or
Low 1 through 6; Medium 1 through 6; High 1 through 6?

This is a great site. Found my puppy on RTF and the input and advice is very benificial. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
It does not matter, really , just use the lowest # that gets the quickest desired results. I find that a low three CAN be less aversive than a high 2. really depends on the individual , and the reaction and results .

#20 ·
I agree with you entirely, and from some other posts where people have tested the receiver themselves and gotten results showing results that do not follow the sequential order, that I have apparently been mislead to believe, guess maybe I will contact TT myself and get some clarification.

#15 ·
This is the same frustration I had when I called Tri-Tronics..."I think it goes from L1 to M1 to H1...etc." but couldn't tell me for sure. I would think that a manufacturer of this product would know exactly how their product works.

It seems obvious to me that if you are searching for the least possible intensity to get the dog to respond this would be pertinent information.

BTW the owners manual doesn't tell you either, as one poster suggested. That's why I called TT.

Does anyone know definitively how this piece of equipment works? An engineer designed it so someone should know.

#17 ·
It's really confusing, until you actually use it.
But, basically the dial changes the amplitude, and the low, med, and "high" buttons increase the cycles.

So, a 3 High is three times as "strong" as a 3 low. It doesn't have three times the voltage. It has two extra phases.

And the momentary duration time is also increased going from a low, to a medium, and to a high.

#19 ·
I just got done puttin this thing on the inside of my wrist and would say on CONTINUOUS, the intensity follows the 1L, 1M, 1H, 2L, 2M, 2H, 3L .......etc.

But in MOMENTARY, 2H is definitly percieved as "hotter" than a 3L. I believe it's got to do with the duration of the stimulation.

Glad this was posted, made me learn something. Good luck with your new pup.

#21 ·
From what I have seen with mine and my dogs reactions I have not gone above a 3 as none of them have required it but the most simularity I have seen is 1 high is about like a 2 medium and a 2 high is like a 3 medium as their reactions are very simular - ( I didnt just shock my dogs to find this out - It has been during training that I have noticed this.)

I dont like to have to look at the transmitter while training so if the situation requires it both buttons get pushed - I almost wish the sport basic model had this feature versus the turn dial - a few of the guys I have hunted with in the past learned to turn the dial from 2 to 5 in a quick movement of the thumb and all I can do is ask after the fact a rhetorical question "was a 5 the lowest level that would have gotten that dog back?"

I always hate to see a dog get majorly juiced for minor screw ups.

#23 · (Edited)
I think it goes 1L 2L 3L, 1M 2M 3M, 1H 2H 3H, etc. etc. That is from using an "antique" test light. I will say if you use a light you will agree that a 2H is definitely higher than a 3L probably higher than a 4L or 5L. That is at least in the light gets much brighter on the 2H.

You can definitely hear the pulse change on the higher settings if you hold it up to your ear.

As someone else already said, it matters little. You have the option of a L, M, and a high on each setting, without changing the dial up or down. If a 2H isn't enough you go to a 3H and have the option to use 3M and 3L.

If 2H wasn't quite enough, you wouldn't want a 2H to be your medium setting requiring that you rotate to a 3L for your high setting then back down to 2H for your medium and then your 2M would actually be your low setting. I think the way TT does it is the best way.

That is what you would have to do if the order was sequential.

This makes the most sense to me.

If it was sequencial over the whole range and you wanted to go up or down a step or two it would require rotating the dial between levels.

#31 ·
I like the way this is written.

Whether you are choosing momentary or continuous mode, you are picking, with TT Pro series collars (Flyway included) a RANGE with your dial setting. Then you have instantaneous capability to go up and down the range with immediate choices, that take away the need to lose time or focus by having to turn a knob.

I am NOT touching my ear or zapping myself today. But just for the heck of it, I'm using my Pro 500 and listening to the sound at the prongs.

A 4 high continuous is a pretty loud, higher pitched, rapidly pulsing sound that is easy to hear. A 5 low is a much lower pitched clackety sounding slower pulse. It makes sense just to the sound that a 4 high is going to stimulate the dog much more than a 5 low.

Try it - no pain or test lights needed. P.S. Don't touch your ear to the contacts!

#27 ·
Think of the dial as setting a group of correction levels and the buttons giving you a range of corrections within that group. Through training you can find the settings group that gets the appropriate response for the infraction. The High setting needs to be enough to get a behavior change during a reasonably extreme distraction or continued lack of effort. Therefore you would want Low to be just a bump. 3H is pretty hot. If I train on 4, I do not want. 4L to be hotter than 3H. I want 4L to be low correction. I don't want to change the dial to get the range I want between Low, Med, and High.

#30 ·
Think of the dial as setting a group of correction levels and the buttons giving you a range of corrections within that group. Through training you can find the settings group that gets the appropriate response for the infraction. The High setting needs to be enough to get a behavior change during a reasonably extreme distraction or continued lack of effort. Therefore you would want Low to be just a bump. 3H is pretty hot. If I train on 4, I do not want. 4L to be hotter than 3H. I want 4L to be low correction. I don't want to change the dial to get the range I want between Low, Med, and High.
I agree, this is absolutley how it is designed to work.

#28 ·
Don't over analyze this.

The only scale you need to think about, is the dial. That's what you set to match the dog.

Which button you push, depends on the circumstance.
If you can't keep from over-thinking this, you are better off with just one button to choose from.

#29 ·
If you tried out a test light you would see that it does indeed tell you something. You can see it barely coming on to glowing brightly with different settings. The light also allows you to see the frequency (pulse) changes.

It is not just an indicator light that shows if the collar is working.

#37 ·
I don't know how you guys use your Pro-500, but I have always started by finding which number works best for each of my dogs, then I just set that number for that dog, and use the low to high buttons on the fly. I don't overthink where a high number three is compared to a low four. It's kind of like the coices you have with a ten speed bike, there are numerous combinations of large-small front chainwheel versus the many rear freewheels, you figure out what works best after practice.

John

#39 ·
Thank you John R. I can't believe anyone actually believes they are being "mislead" or that it is bad design. If its going to take you that long to decide on which level of which number you need right now, maybe you need to put the thing away and just watch your dog some. I do occasionally find fault with some TT items, but I think the P500G3 is genius in action.

#42 ·
Does the 90 have levels 1-6 or 1-5?

I remember that TT added a level 6 and saying that 6 wasn't hotter than 5. They had added a lower level at the lower end.

#43 · (Edited)
Both the 500xl and the Field 90 G3 have a 6 level dial.

The lowest low on the 500, is significantly lower than the lowest you can go with the Field 90.
But, I wouldn't say that a High 6 isn't as "hot" as a level 6 on the Field 90.

At the same dial setting the "tics" do seem to hit harder with the Field 90. But, they aren't even close to the frequency they are when you hit both buttons simultaneously with the 500.

The best way I could describe it, is that a 2M with the 500, is almost exactly like a 1 on the Field 90.
And at the top of the scale, a 6M on the 500 isn't as hot as a 6 is on the Field 90. But, a 6H from the 500, is at least as aversive as a 6 from the 90.

#45 · (Edited)
What do I do then if my dog generally operates on a 3H and I get in a situation where the dog may need a bit more "persuasion"? Are you saying I forego the 4L and go to a 4M? Seems to me that require's too much thought when all I need to do is turn the dial a notch and hit the low buttion. Also, it sounds if all levels would have to operate this way...and it simply isn't the way my collar is. I'm not arguing, rather, telling you what I know my collar does. I guess mines and odd ball.

#47 ·
What do I do then if my dog generally operates on a 3H and I get in a situation where the dog may need a bit more "persuasion"? Are you saying I forego the 4L and go to a 4M? Seems to me that require's too much thought when all I need to do is turn the dial a notch and hit the low buttion.
You should be set up generally at the low end of the number. If after experimenting you find that your dog just twitches his head on a four low, I would just set it on four. That gives you lots of higher options above the low nick, to a low continuous, medium and high. I have had my Pro 500 for almost 15 years, and four dogs, I honestly have never once changed the number level on each dog once I figured out what that number was. That is the way the collar was designed to work.

#51 ·
Hoyt..... the "CC" part of dog training last maybe 9 days (I use the Lardy way not Evan... but not that many ways to shock your dog)........ but after CC, once you go up and down like you say and find the working level of a dog. That is purty much it. On my TT 500 I set the dial to 2 for Scooby Do, my old psyco rescue chessie but could correct him with the tone button, he has some issues. And when I put the same collar on Loco my young Chessie I set the dial to 5, but he eats yellow jackets and flosses with barbed wire for fun. Both dogs are happy.
It is good you are shocking yourself. We all should feel the thump we give.
But for real, just pick a level. in that level you got low med and high.
to ease your mind maybe send in your collar to colar clinic or TT for a check up.
but I say pick a level and light um up!!!!!:D

#54 ·
Quote."Maybe it's just me. But has dog training always been this damn complicated? "

Nope.......in the old days you just shot um in the ars with a load of 6's and if they yelped you were right on.......

I love the collar and I think you guys are over thinking it. Just try this..... use the button with the smallest number that gets you the results you want or need at the moment. Just my opinion. Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.