The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri-Tronics Pro 500 Intensity Levels

From what I have seen with mine and my dogs reactions I have not gone above a 3 as none of them have required it but the most simularity I have seen is 1 high is about like a 2 medium and a 2 high is like a 3 medium as their reactions are very simular - ( I didnt just shock my dogs to find this out - It has been during training that I have noticed this.)

I dont like to have to look at the transmitter while training so if the situation requires it both buttons get pushed - I almost wish the sport basic model had this feature versus the turn dial - a few of the guys I have hunted with in the past learned to turn the dial from 2 to 5 in a quick movement of the thumb and all I can do is ask after the fact a rhetorical question "was a 5 the lowest level that would have gotten that dog back?"

I always hate to see a dog get majorly juiced for minor screw ups.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You are sitting there zapping yourself at each intensity level and telling someone else what makes sense
    Try re-reading what I said a few times and maybe it'll click for you. Then again...

No. What I'm telling you is that as a newbie trainer I wanted to KNOW what my dog was feeling before I used the collar on my dog. I wanted to know the pressures I was putting on him. In my mind any trainer worth his/her salt has done this so he knows how to be fair to his dog. That makes me a better trainer in my mind because it makes me think before pushing a button. Understand now?

I haven't trained with a dog in almost 4 years, and haven't used the collar for the same time period. I like to think that I've gained some knowledge since then and would use the collar far less than I did back then. I've been considering trying to train a dog without a collar just to see how far I can get. I suppose some would have a problem with that choice.

I'm not saying that things couldn't get mixed up from the factory. I'm not even going to sit here and swear up and down that these "backward" claims aren't true. I haven't used a meter on a collar and don't plan on it. If it's not what I said it was, and what Tri-tronics said was the order of operation, then mine will be gone...plain and simple...and for one reason only, ease of use without looking. That collars popularity, and by design in my opinion, is attributed to its ease of use without having to look down at the collar to know what level you're on.

However, I will "sit here" and tell anyone that anything other than how I described the levels defeats the purpose of "knowing where you're at on the collar without looking". It simply does not make sense. In no way am I saying some colors aren't like this, but I am telling you that mine isn't.

The collar is labled...in a logical progression...anything else is working backward. The point isn't that a meter won't show that 1L,1M,1H,2L,2M,2H,3L,3M, 3H, etc., as the meter may indeed show something different. The point is that the numbers in this case, and generally when kids start counting, work forward beginning with #1, #2, #3, etc., and the buttons ARE bottom is low, top is medium, and both together=high and function in a logical progression...at least my collar does. If anyone else's doesn't then I'd suggest sending it back, and buying another brand.

If Tri-tronics did indeed, on purpose, make ALL of their Pro500 collars so that a 2H is hotter than a 3L, then I am saying that was flat out stupid on Tri-tronics part. Again, all I can tell you is that I know what my collar does...or did. The batteries are dead right now, and they may stay that way.
    Last edited by Hoytman; 03-02-2013 at 09:33 AM.

I think it goes 1L 2L 3L, 1M 2M 3M, 1H 2H 3H, etc. etc. That is from using an "antique" test light. I will say if you use a light you will agree that a 2H is definitely higher than a 3L probably higher than a 4L or 5L. That is at least in the light gets much brighter on the 2H.

You can definitely hear the pulse change on the higher settings if you hold it up to your ear.

As someone else already said, it matters little. You have the option of a L, M, and a high on each setting, without changing the dial up or down. If a 2H isn't enough you go to a 3H and have the option to use 3M and 3L.

If 2H wasn't quite enough, you wouldn't want a 2H to be your medium setting requiring that you rotate to a 3L for your high setting then back down to 2H for your medium and then your 2M would actually be your low setting. I think the way TT does it is the best way.

That is what you would have to do if the order was sequential.

This makes the most sense to me.

If it was sequencial over the whole range and you wanted to go up or down a step or two it would require rotating the dial between levels.
    Last edited by John Lash; 03-02-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Scale goes from #1L #1M #1H #2L #2M #2H #3L #3M #3H and so on.
    In theory this is how they should work but is NOT how they work. I posted a while back about this after I experimented with the Tritronics testing lights that are no longer even available.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    In theory this is how they should work but is NOT how they work. I posted a while back about this after I experimented with the Tritronics testing lights that are no longer even available.
    So you're saying that if you're working with a dog that works on a 3L and you need to give a correction of the next higher level, you have to use both hands and move the dial to a 4L, rather than use the buttons the way they are designed? My hand and leg tells me different...forget the lights. I might believe a meter, and I might even be inclined to believe some models got wired wrong, or some models may even be different from my 500xls, but mine works sequintially low, medium, and high with the buttons, then progressing through each numbered leven in the same manor.

Dang...it's been so long since I used mine I think I'll charge it up just to see if I'm crazy. That's (shocking yourself before the dog) not easily forgotten though.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    It's really confusing, until you actually use it.
    But, basically the dial changes the amplitude, and the low, med, and "high" buttons increase the cycles.

So, a 3 High is three times as "strong" as a 3 low. It doesn't have three times the voltage. It has two extra phases.

And the momentary duration time is also increased going from a low, to a medium, and to a high.
    I would be very surprised if this is not the most correct answer. A test light most likely will tell you nothing, except that the system is working.

Think of the dial as setting a group of correction levels and the buttons giving you a range of corrections within that group. Through training you can find the settings group that gets the appropriate response for the infraction. The High setting needs to be enough to get a behavior change during a reasonably extreme distraction or continued lack of effort. Therefore you would want Low to be just a bump. 3H is pretty hot. If I train on 4, I do not want. 4L to be hotter than 3H. I want 4L to be low correction. I don't want to change the dial to get the range I want between Low, Med, and High.

Don't over analyze this.

The only scale you need to think about, is the dial. That's what you set to match the dog.

Which button you push, depends on the circumstance.
    If you can't keep from over-thinking this, you are better off with just one button to choose from.

If you tried out a test light you would see that it does indeed tell you something. You can see it barely coming on to glowing brightly with different settings. The light also allows you to see the frequency (pulse) changes.

It is not just an indicator light that shows if the collar is working.
    John Lash

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    Think of the dial as setting a group of correction levels and the buttons giving you a range of corrections within that group. Through training you can find the settings group that gets the appropriate response for the infraction. The High setting needs to be enough to get a behavior change during a reasonably extreme distraction or continued lack of effort. Therefore you would want Low to be just a bump. 3H is pretty hot. If I train on 4, I do not want. 4L to be hotter than 3H. I want 4L to be low correction. I don't want to change the dial to get the range I want between Low, Med, and High.
    I agree, this is absolutley how it is designed to work.
    John Lash