The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 59 entries and only 1 lab? rally trial

Default 59 entries and only 1 lab? rally trial

Worked our ob club's rally trial last night and of all the dogs that showed there was only one lab. 59 dogs were entered, and I don't know the breeds of the few no shows as I went off of the dogs actually showing. Only one labrador. For the #1 breed in AKC registration I wonder over all where these labs are. I only say this as I teach the daytime CGC class at our ob club and again where are the labs? I have not had a lab in class in the past 12 months, other than me using one of mine as a demo dog. Just seems strange.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

There were only 2 labs in our trial last month. They aren't real popular around here in the trials. Mostly Goldens, herding/working dogs, and mixed breeds.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Same here, goldens and tervs or malinois in the obedience rings, goldens and border collies in agility. Very, very few labs.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

We do Rally with our Labs but it is 4th on the list of things we do. Mine are working on excellent may get to a trial at some point before or between the test, trial and hunting seasons. Looking at doing tracking in the spring.

A bit different here. In the local area there are 7 Labs that compete regularly in agility. Four have their MACHs. Several have their CDs, at least one has Versatility 2 (agility, tracking and obedience), one is a JH. Very few goldens competing in agility at the successful level of the Labs, but of course, many BCs.

Betty Knight
    MACH ATCH Turnagain MacKenzie OF AXP AJP CGC "Kenzie" retired 14 yo BLF
    Turnagain Soot MXP MJP5 CGC "Soot" retired 14.5 yo BLF
    ATCH Hoodoo's Boo Moon MX MJP MXB MJB MXF "Boo" , an Aussie that thinks she is a Lab
    Case Pond's Dynamite Celebration AX MXJ, XF - 4.5 yo BLF

No idea how many labs were in regular ob Sat. because again I was on late shift working the rally trial, however I do know a lab won utility B! Fun as I've known him since he was in a beginner 1 class.
    2 labs last night for rally. Tons of goldens, and GRRR (I hate the new rule) lots of "all americans".
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I'm one of the few in my area that always seems to have at least one lab in obed, but yes, Goldens and BCs seem to dominate around here at the more advanced levels of obed anyhow. I will be trialing at least 3 in traditional obed (nov/open) this summer and am slowly working on Util w/ others.

With Rally, I think because you can get thru it so fast, you may not see so many Labs because they are smart and finish quickly (or at least they should if their owner is half way consistent!).

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    No idea how many labs were in regular ob Sat. because again I was on late shift working the rally trial, however I do know a lab won utility B! Fun as I've known him since he was in a beginner 1 class.
    2 labs last night for rally. Tons of goldens, and GRRR (I hate the new rule) lots of "all americans".
    Why do you hate the All Americans?
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Why would you not want to see all dog owners encouraged to train their dogs? One of my elderly mixed breed rescues girlies was over 10 years when AKC allowed mixes. She finished her CD with 4 straight Qs when she was about 11.5 years. Went on to get an RA when she was over 12, but I didn't want to make her jump the 2 (then required) jumps in Rally Exc. Camas is now 14.5 yrs. In most of the trials i've shown in or worked at, mixed breeds are (disappointingly) rare and most are owned by peope that also have pure bred dogs.

As for labs, they get quite a few obedience and rally titles. What you see at individual shows can be misleading and subject to random fluctuations in entries.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Labs have better things to do.........
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon