The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 59 entries and only 1 lab? rally trial

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    Why do you hate the All Americans?
    What is an all American (in this instance)?
    Bill Davis

All American is a mixed breed. I'd love to hear the answer as to why luvmylabs hates All Americans in performance. I can't see anything wrong with it and I'm glad the AKC let them in.
    I do performance sports (agility, obedience tracking etc.) with my lab and when he is in the Rally ring it's like a porsche in a crowded parking lot-he's super fast and those little signs seem so crowded together he barely has time to start heeling and we're at another sign. Even obedience rings seem really small with a dog like him.
    Last edited by dogshom; 03-03-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogshom View Post
    All American is a mixed breed. I'd love to hear the answer as to why luvmylabs hates All Americans in performance. I can't see anything wrong with it and I'm glad the AKC let them in.
    I do performance sports (agility, obedience tracking etc.) with my lab and when he is in the Rally ring it's like a porsche in a crowded parking lot-he's super fast and those little signs seem so crowded together he barely has time to start heeling and we're at another sign. Even obedience rings seem really small with a dog like him.
    She hates everything American, just ask her/him.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Now, now Timothy. What happens in POTUS stays in POTUS. (Thank God!)
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    Why do you hate the All Americans?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Why would you not want to see all dog owners encouraged to train their dogs? One of my elderly mixed breed rescues girlies was over 10 years when AKC allowed mixes..
    Quote Originally Posted by dogshom View Post
    All American is a mixed breed. I'd love to hear the answer as to why luvmylabs hates All Americans in performance. I can't see anything wrong with it and I'm glad the AKC let them in..
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Now, now Timothy. What happens in POTUS stays in POTUS. (Thank God!)
    I think somebody forgot they were not typing in POTUS
    and I think it is a good question.
    but would not bet on a reply
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I said I hate the rule that mixed breeds are now allowed to compete in AKC events. I guess I'm just a purist, but think about it like this, people are now putting AKC titles on labradoodles as a way to justify them as a breed. I used the term " all american" as that is the official way they are listed in the AKC catalog for a show.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    What is an all American (in this instance)?
    The way a mixed breed dog is listed in an akc catalog for an ob or rallly trial. All I did use the AKC description.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I think somebody forgot they were not typing in POTUS
    and I think it is a good question.
    but would not bet on a reply
    I simply used the official AKC wording for listing a mixed breed dog in an ob or rally show catalog. Has nothing to do with POTUS.

Let's turn the tables here. Let's say AKC allows mixed breeds (AA) in field trials as they have in rally, obed, tracking (where entries may be limited to 6 or so dogs). How would you feel?

Luvmylabs has probably gone thru the same brainwashing that AKC did to all of us for the 20 yrs prior. AKC was all about and ONLY about the PUREbred dog. Now they are having a hard time paying their NYC rent, so have to find ways to raise revenues. After all the preaching.... Yes, I can see where she's coming from but I also prefer breed specialties to limit obed / rally to only that breed too. It makes it more special.

I've had the negative experiences happen in the obed ring w/ folks who weren't ready for competition (both pure and not) but at least I had some iota of what to expect from the purebreeds and their owners. I know what to expect from an overly hormonal male Labrador and also know that the Rottweiler handler who is a regular will NEVER knowingly enter a dog that isn't ready to score in the mid to high 190's (I love my dogs to be near hers in the catalog as that's who will be near in group Stays-- they are WELL trained and NICE dogs). I admit I have NO idea what to expect w/ some of the mixes and so far, it's not always been pleasant.

All the judges are trying to be PC but in the end, if they don't impose the same sanctions on the newbs, they'll just end up losing some of the old regulars. It's a vicious circle. Yes, everyone wants that opp to show off their dog, but at an AKC event?

It did kind of take the "special" feeling out of it for those of us brainwashed early on, I guess.