The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: 36 Hours That Changed The Republican Party

  1. #1
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    11,025

    Default 36 Hours That Changed The Republican Party

    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    So the reporter for Reason has his Chris Matthews moment .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tom. P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N/W Indiana
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Wow thats way better than Chris Mathews tingle up His leg! Justin Raimondo actually cried.
    Although i think it was a moving experience not quite tear-worthy.

  4. #4
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,192

    Default

    Rand Paul, it turns out, truly is his father‘s son.

    The kiss of death for Rand Paul Why don't they leave him alone and let him be his own man?
    Bill Davis

  5. #5
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    11,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Rand Paul, it turns out, truly is his father‘s son.

    The kiss of death for Rand Paul Why don't they leave him alone and let him be his own man?
    Rand is his own man. I understand that Thanksgiving was ackward last year compared to the normal ones. Rand took a lot of heat from the LP.org for selling out and supporting Romney. That he was compromising his values by doing so. Some look at it as Rand trying to do it within the GOP and reform it with the Teas's and LP's support. Can Rand get the support of the GOP when he runs? I think the media will use McCain's and Graham's "sound bytes" in trying to take him down.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  6. #6
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Rand is his own man. I understand that Thanksgiving was ackward last year compared to the normal ones. Rand took a lot of heat from the LP.org for selling out and supporting Romney. That he was compromising his values by doing so. Personally, I think Rand did the pragmatic thing. Romney & Rand, IMO, share many of the same values, even if it doesn't come through in uniformity in all their political views. If I read the character of Rand and Ron correctly, I'd expect that Ron knew of Rand's decision before Rand made it public. I would expect that Ron would have told his son to follow his conscience. While I thought Ron was too old to do well in an election against Obama, and I do disagree with some of his views, I respect his character and integrity. I think the same of Rand. He shares his father's character and integrity, but even father & son can have some views that differ. Some look at it as Rand trying to do it within the GOP and reform it with the Teas's and LP's support. Can Rand get the support of the GOP when he runs? I think the media will use McCain's and Graham's "sound bytes" in trying to take him down. Doing so could actually work in Rand's favor I have to believe that there are a lot of "ordinary" Rs that could see Rand's calm courage in his filibuster, and don't like the idea of McC and Graham taking shots at him. I bet nobody, not even Rand, expected that his filibuster would draw the attention and positive feedback that it generated, even among many who are otherwise "liberal". Maybe the latter will "wake the sleeping giant" of liberals who have not delved into the seemingly good intentions of the "progressives"?
    ...............
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,903

    Default

    I think the title of this thread is in error.

    It should be "36 Hours That Changed the Libertarian Party."
    I think the awakening has occurred that in order for them to get heard, they have to operate (at least for the time being) within the framework of the Republican party.

    In fact, other than the goofy drug stuff the Libertarians oprate well within that framework.

    I don't care if someone doesn't like it, kids on a college campus doin' bongs is not a political party or a movement.
    Last edited by road kill; 03-09-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  8. #8
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I think the title of this thrrad is in error.

    It should be "36 Hours That Changed the Libertarian Party."
    I think the awakening has occurred that in order for them to get heard, they have to operate (at least for the time being) within the framework of the Republican party.

    In fact, other than the goofy drug stuff the Libertarians oprate well within that framework.

    I don't care if someone doesn't like it, kids on a college campus doin' bongs is not a political party or a movement.
    Not necessarily in response to, more inspired by...

    I am more or less an independent who, due to having to decide all my voting life which side of the "culture wars" I am on, have usually voted democrat first... And often republican if there was a second term vote! And then in further disgust, democrat again 2, 4, or 6 years later (though I was loyal to Voinovich and Pryce).

    I am NOT alone--just more willing, apparently, to compromise my integrity

    If the libertarians can pull the Republican party out of the neo-con social hangups, the party may gain a nice chunk of middle-aged (former-ish) progressives/Democrats.

    If a true Libertarian party develops, I will not walk, but RUN to it, and others will too.

    It's not universal, but there is a good deal of disgust for Obama--but there is equal disgust for the Republican establisment. Unless there is a see change, most democrats are going to vote for the next democrat, even though they aren't happy about it.

    The R's have got to distance themselves from the '80s and 90's social issues.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Not necessarily in response to, more inspired by...

    I am more or less an independent who, due to having to decide all my voting life which side of the "culture wars" I am on, have usually voted democrat first... And often republican if there was a second term vote! And then in further disgust, democrat again 2, 4, or 6 years later (though I was loyal to Voinovich and Pryce).

    I am NOT alone--just more willing, apparently, to compromise my integrity

    If the libertarians can pull the Republican party out of the neo-con social hangups, the party may gain a nice chunk of middle-aged (former-ish) progressives/Democrats.

    If a true Libertarian party develops, I will not walk, but RUN to it, and others will too.

    It's not universal, but there is a good deal of disgust for Obama--but there is equal disgust for the Republican establisment. Unless there is a see change, most democrats are going to vote for the next democrat, even though they aren't happy about it.

    The R's have got to distance themselves from the '80s and 90's social issues.
    Bingo!!
    I think you have identified a lot of "middle of the roaders" feelings.
    You aren't going to change the hard line partisan Dem or Rep voter.

    They{the middle of the roaders} are generally the ones that decide elections anyways

  10. #10
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Not necessarily in response to, more inspired by...

    I am more or less an independent who, due to having to decide all my voting life which side of the "culture wars" I am on, have usually voted democrat first... And often republican if there was a second term vote! And then in further disgust, democrat again 2, 4, or 6 years later (though I was loyal to Voinovich and Pryce).

    I am NOT alone--just more willing, apparently, to compromise my integrity

    If the libertarians can pull the Republican party out of the neo-con social hangups, the party may gain a nice chunk of middle-aged (former-ish) progressives/Democrats.

    If a true Libertarian party develops, I will not walk, but RUN to it, and others will too.

    It's not universal, but there is a good deal of disgust for Obama--but there is equal disgust for the Republican establisment. Unless there is a see change, most democrats are going to vote for the next democrat, even though they aren't happy about it.

    The R's have got to distance themselves from the '80s and 90's social issues.
    I think McCain and Graham PROVED beyond any reasonable doubt what they realy are.
    And it ain't in line with me...................

    Those guys are progressives, and are so far to the left they could not have been Democrats in the 60's.
    Stan b & Elvis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •