The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: History Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    If we are so bad, why are you guys here enjoying what the country has to offer? I sure tire of people bashing the country, but wanting more from it.
    Bill who is bashing the Country?

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I'm sure Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have chosen carpet bombing to atomic bombing. We don't have a great track record.
    Would you have preferred six months to a year or more of war with heavy casualties on both sides?

I admire your faith but you have to know that we have a separation of church and state for several reasons.

Exactly, we do and the way we fight wars reflects our societies morals.

And the war would have been over before the bombs dropped if Truman would have let Japan keep their emperor. Instead Truman wanted an unconditional surrender and made the order to kill many innocent civilians instead. Hindsight is always 20/20. But no one is taught that the Japanese were ready to surrender with the only condition of keeping their emperor. My grandfather was in the pacific theater, was shot three times at Okinawa and survived. I have all the respect in the world for our vets and present service-members. I don't want any of them to face danger unless it is a just cause in DEFENSE of our country.

MM: The Japanese did in fact keep the emperor. This was not without controversy considering his role in the attack on Pearl Harbor. By the way Berlin was never fire-bombed. Many cities were, most infamously Dresden and Hamburg. Tokyo was also firebombed and suffered tremendous damage due primarily to the construction of the buildings. And finally, Chamberlain was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    If we are so bad, why are you guys here enjoying what the country has to offer? I sure tire of people bashing the country, but wanting more from it.
    Ditto ! 'Not supposed to talk bad about the prez but give the country what for'. Seems wrong to me also.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by mcpoland View Post
    MM: The Japanese did in fact keep the emperor. This was not without controversy considering his role in the attack on Pearl Harbor. By the way Berlin was never fire-bombed. Many cities were, most infamously Dresden and Hamburg. Tokyo was also firebombed and suffered tremendous damage due primarily to the construction of the buildings. And finally, Chamberlain was an idiot.
    They got their emperor, but after an unconditional surrender was attained. Sorry about the semantics, berlin wasnt firebombed, but it was bombed heavily. Chamberlain may be an idiot, but churchill is not as brilliant as he is made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Exactly, we do and the way we fight wars reflects our societies morals.

And the war would have been over before the bombs dropped if Truman would have let Japan keep their emperor. Instead Truman wanted an unconditional surrender and made the order to kill many innocent civilians instead. Hindsight is always 20/20. But no one is taught that the Japanese were ready to surrender with the only condition of keeping their emperor. My grandfather was in the pacific theater, was shot three times at Okinawa and survived. I have all the respect in the world for our vets and present service-members. I don't want any of them to face danger unless it is a just cause in DEFENSE of our country.
    I applaud your G-Father for his sevice, but you should have spent more time getting HIS views of what he had experienced. I had a cousin that had the H-bomb not dropped on Heroshima, he would have been part of the American fodder sent onto mainland Japan. All is fair in love and war, MM. You are so narrow minded, you can't see the forrest for the trees. How many Japs gave a crap about the civilians they killed at pearl harbor? How many Muslims gave a damn about the collateral damage when they dropped the twin towers. Your disdain for the America you've been given to live in, dispite your libertarian beliefs, your form of appeasement will never get anything accomplished, because the Muslim Jihad thinks you are just wimps and easily killed to further their goal of complete annhilation of what they perceive as being infidels in their lives.

But I don't expect your views of "turning the other check", and your total disregard for the Old Testament history. Wonder where Christianity would be if David had been defeated by the Phillistines? Unlike you and Franco, we don't need to be your view of neo-cons to still know you can't fight for your liberty and safety by 'talking' peace to the Jihadists that see that only as a weakness. When you are dealing with an 'eye-for-an-eye' mindset, you will get your head handed to you with your passive attempts at attempting something conciliatory. It's so nice to be thought of as someone far more compassionate than your fellow Americans that are on the main line protecting your freedoms by putting their lives on the line, knowing they are the only defense when it comes to kill or being killed, and defend your freedom to be a clinging vine of linguini spined indifference. It's one thing to believe what you do, but your arrogance and constant barrage at explaining to all that will listen, how superior your empathy for the enemy is, while all that keep this country safe are put down, except for an occasional thanks for your life you gave away so stupidly.

You and Franco use neo-con interchangeably with a form of 'war-monger'. You are both way off the reservation in that view. Just because some of us may be considered 'hawks' as opposed to the 'doves' that are only interested when their ox is in immediate danger of being gored. Then listen to them squeel because those on the front line haven't done their job protecting their sorry asses. I'm not talking about some of the conscientious objectors that have served this nation. Most had far more 'guts' than the appeasers and wusses that didn't have the nerve or courage to stand up for their U.S. flag and what it stands for.

So take your neo-con attitudes and stick 'em. You are so far off line with what most conservatives in this country do and find important for this nation to survive. And, yes, despite your value system, we will continue to do what is needed to protect you, only because you are among the innocent number of those that need protection, that is why the majority of Americans serve.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    You fight a war to win.

End of story!

All the trouble comes when you try to fight civilly.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by mcpoland View Post
    Hey Mark, been wondering when you might weigh in...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    You fight a war to win.

End of story!

All the trouble comes when you try to fight civilly.
    RK clear your inbox JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift