The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodged A Bullet

Default Dodged A Bullet

Closing day of goose season I went out for final chance to knock down some ganders. I was all alone with Anny.(Red Lab) Quiet morning. 12 degrees and the birds had been shot at a ton from this field but that's never stopped me before. I set up 3 dozen big foot decoys and as I was pouring my first cup of coffee .Two geese where buzzing the decoys. They worked in. Knocked em down. Sent Anny out for the go bird. Here. Heel. Sit. Sent for memory bird. Two birds in the blind. Got coffee headed down the pipe. Here comes a flight of 20-40 birds honking and a looking. Got em in and knocked down two. Quick final day. Sent Anny down for the go bird. Here. Heel. Sit. Sent her for the memory bird. BIG MISTAKE. The honker was a cripple and I knew it. But to what degree of functionality did it have I was soon to find out. Anny hit her line hard and straight and as soon as this honker saw her he started to run and pump those wings like mad. Elevated at 3 feet off the ground it took off and so did Anny. Off they went and at 150 yards out the bird still 3 feet off banked right hard and caught the wind at its back. More speed and now headed towards a 2 lane frontage road. I looked for cars and saw none. Tried to whistle her in but too far out and no chance whatso ever. She was a red dot chasing this big ol gray dot. Down a bank and out of site. I see cars coming on the frontage road and I start hauling out in that direction. To my relief, I see her in the distance with a big ol goose coming in. Rules of the game. Never send a dog out for a cripple where there may be harms way. Roads, barb wire fences, ice ponds or creeks, etc. I would have been better off walking on a heel and creating a walk up scenario. I was home in 1 hour from set up to pick up. I consider my self fortunate to have not lost my dog. Lesson for me. Won't happen again.

Your very lucky

That must have been an awful helpless feeling, not being able to call her back. So glad it ended well.
    Tim

It happens,dont beat yourself up over it. I've had several close calls with different dogs through the years but have been lucky. You watch the dog pick up 50 cripple birds but the 51st bird does something unexpected and leads your dog into possible trouble. I pretty much swat every cripple with its head up now for that very reason. Shells are cheap and I like to shoot! I had a dog get within feet of a cripple one time hunting in a dead spot at the edge of some strong current. Right before he gets to grab the duck it comes alive and takes off,dog hot after it. He gets in the current and ZOOM he's gone down stream and around a curve. I fire up the boat and tear out after them and find my dog still hot after that duck!
    Glad your dog is ok.

last bird of the last day
    open spot on the wall???
    mount it and tell this story a while longer

good dog!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken Bora. Great idea. Wish I had the insight back then. I was numb for a bit. Cleaned it up and it's going to be spring jerky. Grnhd, I am the same way. Hundreds of cripples but this one takes her off towards the death flight! This dog would not hear a whistle and I had her collared up but did not use it. Gonna do walk ups on cripples or give em the Colorado Clubbing from the blind. Your right. Shells are cheap. Tim Mc and Northenstorm, I could only imagine watching my dog get run over!!!! Horrid. I'm blessed and one hunt smarter.

Your dog did nothing wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, the dog was better than perfect.

Agreed copterdoc!

You just need to train the damn goose!

Glad she got in safe!
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"