The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodged A Bullet

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    You just need to train the damn goose!
    To late, it's on it's way to becoming jerky.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

i have had 1 close call myself but not the way yours was - we were allowed to hunt a field but weren't allowed to drive in it the fields were a bit muddy so we unloaded the dekes from a field approach and on the last haul i let Maggie out to air and come out to the field after i let her out i went to the trailer to pick up the last bags of dekes with my partners and maggie crossed the highway when i called her i noticed a truck coming down the highway she crossed the highway not 15 seconds before the truck flew past us i was shaken the rest of the day i feel your anxiety and by the way you have a great dog by the way it sounds
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I assume colorado clubbing means shooting cripples from the blind. I like it!
    I hunt alot with kids and one thing kids like to do is shoot. After my gun safety speach I tell them two things,watch out for the dog and shoot any cripple on the water.I feel sorry for any cripple on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by Griddoc View Post
    Closing day of goose season I went out for final chance to knock down some ganders. I was all alone with Anny.(Red Lab) Quiet morning. 12 degrees and the birds had been shot at a ton from this field but that's never stopped me before. I set up 3 dozen big foot decoys and as I was pouring my first cup of coffee .Two geese where buzzing the decoys. They worked in. Knocked em down. Sent Anny out for the go bird. Here. Heel. Sit. Sent for memory bird. Two birds in the blind. Got coffee headed down the pipe. Here comes a flight of 20-40 birds honking and a looking. Got em in and knocked down two. Quick final day. Sent Anny down for the go bird. Here. Heel. Sit. Sent her for the memory bird. BIG MISTAKE. The honker was a cripple and I knew it. But to what degree of functionality did it have I was soon to find out. Anny hit her line hard and straight and as soon as this honker saw her he started to run and pump those wings like mad. Elevated at 3 feet off the ground it took off and so did Anny. Off they went and at 150 yards out the bird still 3 feet off banked right hard and caught the wind at its back. More speed and now headed towards a 2 lane frontage road. I looked for cars and saw none. Tried to whistle her in but too far out and no chance whatso ever. She was a red dot chasing this big ol gray dot. Down a bank and out of site. I see cars coming on the frontage road and I start hauling out in that direction. To my relief, I see her in the distance with a big ol goose coming in. Rules of the game. Never send a dog out for a cripple where there may be harms way. Roads, barb wire fences, ice ponds or creeks, etc. I would have been better off walking on a heel and creating a walk up scenario. I was home in 1 hour from set up to pick up. I consider my self fortunate to have not lost my dog. Lesson for me. Won't happen again.

Great story--and a reminder to us all. I hat hunting pheasants near a road for the reasons you describe. Thanks for the reminder.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Thanks Jen. Seriously. Happy shes alive. Justin S your story is too real and Flippen makes me sick. Anny has her JH title and is ready for SH tests. We hunted all winter with SH tests in mind. I received great advice on the board. With Anny and retrieving. NO FREEBIES!!!!! I don't want to get bad habits started. No breaking. By end of season letting flocks lock in decoys land and wait for bigger birds to work decs. Sometime hunted with 8 in blind. Lots of shooting. Sit. Mark. Grnhd. Colorado clubbing means exactly that. Cripple for a moment. Retrievable real quick. Good lesson on retrieving cripples.

This is why I hunt with the ecollar on

Clipper, I do as well and she blasted thru a continuous at 4. No Pain no Gain. Can you believe that? While in the chase and tail feathers within tongue distance blasted thru her collar!

Bet you'll be working on enforcing HERE. These things do happen Hunting is dangerous, but we can prepare, I had a friend lose a dog to a gator because he wouldn't give up on a retrieve. All his dogs since will come in regardless of situation, whistle means here, bird crippled, fleeing or not. You've been given a warning, addressing it might save you heart-ache later, whether you choose to be more aware when sending a dog on a cripple, or to train the dog to be called off a bird. Perhaps both. I had a warning a few years ago with a pheasant and a road, boy was I glad she whistle sat. The dog sits to flush and comes back when called now. Still We've got to be the smart one's in these situations.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-04-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Good point Hunt'Emup. That's a great training scenario that will aid a hunter and a hunt test competitive dog. I saw a dog go after a Mallard in a pond on his swim out in a senior hunt test. Tis was not the go bird. Whistle. Tread water. Took a cast. Later on saw he got a ribbon. Good advice.