The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you preserve their memory ?

Unhappy How do you preserve their memory ?

After a short battle with heart problems at age 12 our Norfolk Terrier "Corkey" has passed away this weekend .He was my wife's best friend and she's taking it pretty hard. While we knew it was inevitable and he died in her arms last night which was probably the best way for him I am seeking suggestions on some things others have done to preserve the memories of our four legged family members .

I believe MooserGooser may be your answer, he did some awesome work. Handmade wooden boxes to hold the ashes?
    i remember a thread awhile back with pictures.
    matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

I made a small water garden in my yard. Each time I loose a beloved freind I add some of their ashes when planting a new perennial in their memory. I put Fancy Guppies and Platies in to take care of pests in the water and it's very relaxing. My mom, who will be 92 in June, really loves sitting out there.
    Rustic Terriers, Parson Russell & Australian Terriers
    Fox Fire's Abracadabra
    Ch. Fox Fire Leather "N" Lace
    Benayr Scottish Blend- aka- Brody
    Benayr Rustic Charm - aka- Taylor

My Dusty passed away March 14 2011. I have his ashes in a beautiful wood urn. Bed bath and beyond had a frame with a place to put his picture and a seperate area for his collar at the bottom it says, "Just whisper my name in your heart...and I will be there". Some of us take longer to deal with the loss than others, I haven't even been able to think about getting another dog.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Tartufa10,

I commissioned a potrait of my Star several years ago. She was still with us when I met with the artist to commission the work, but was gone a few months later when the work was completed. It hangs in my kennel along with many of the awards she won with my son in 4-H obedience, AKC obedience, and in HT's.

I'm sorry for your loss. May time bring you and your wife comfort.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Banned

I had a necklace made with a bit of the ashes from my three all time best dogs, from here --> www.starseedgems.com

Agree with Swack. The most precious photos in my home and classroom are of my "Sweet Dancy". The photos plus great memories will never allow her to leave our hearts.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 03-03-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Have a owner that loads the ashes into shotgun shells and uses them in all the areas here on 800 acres.Thought that was pretty cool. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    I believe MooserGooser may be your answer, he did some awesome work. Handmade wooden boxes to hold the ashes?
    i remember a thread awhile back with pictures.
    matt
    Yup! Take a look at Goosers website. Really awesome stuff, worthy of the highest form of tribute.
    John Baitinger

I have scattered ashes in some of my favorite hunting spots. A special place where I have many memories for each dog. I recently saw some guys commissioning a hollow wooden decoy to hold a small urn that gets sealed into the decoy with your dogs ashes. It can be a mantle piece or an actual hunting decoy. That way your old partner still goes on the hunt with you.