The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you preserve their memory ?

I put my dogs Caesar's ashes in this decoy
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

I'm currently waiting on a hand carved Mallard decoy with space inside for my dog Remi's ashes. It will be a working decoy that will be hunted over....Remi will never stop hunting as long as I'm able.

Here's a picture....

Mallard urn.jpg

Since I'm able to bury my critters here, I select the spot, on a small rise that serves as my cemetery. Each grave has a small granite marker with the name and dates. My old stallion is there, with an 8 foot blue spruce planted over his grave; my coonhound is buried at the base of a tree with hostas around the marker; my Chessie, Grizz is in a small clearing in the pines with daylillies planted over him, and Russell is in a high, sandy sunny spot, and will have a prickly pear cactus planted there come spring.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Illinois Bob, that resides on this board, has a very unique talent.
    He can take a picture of your dog and precision grit blast the image in very fine detail ,on the surface of a rock..

He did one of my Maddie. Its just beautiful! He chose a rock from the shores of Lake Michigan,

We keep her at the bottom of the hearth in our family room. The picture he used was my favorite of her. It was her first retrieve of a wild bird I managed to bring down..

Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I started carving decoys a couple of years ago. I hollow out my decoys and plan to put the ashes in one of the decoys that I carved and hunt over it. That way the dog will be with on every hunt.
    _MG_2113:72.jpg

I make a donation to a charity on their birthdays. Birthday, not the day of their death, is what I try to remember.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    I started carving decoys a couple of years ago. I hollow out my decoys and plan to put the ashes in one of the decoys that I carved and hunt over it. That way the dog will be with on every hunt.
    _MG_2113:72.jpg

I really, really, really love this idea!
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

I am in the slow process, because of heart breaking anticipation, of painting a hen mallard that I carved of hollow cedar. This will be the new kennel of our 13.5 y/o YLF Nell. Never a fire breather but still a great dog for us. Recently I have had several requests for a decoy from customers, some want a hunter and some are mantle birds. Truly a sad part of my carving enterprise.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Illinois Bob, that resides on this board, has a very unique talent.
    He can take a picture of your dog and precision grit blast the image in very fine detail ,on the surface of a rock..

He did one of my Maddie. Its just beautiful! He chose a rock from the shores of Lake Michigan,

We keep her at the bottom of the hearth in our family room. The picture he used was my favorite of her. It was her first retrieve of a wild bird I managed to bring down..
    I need to see about having a rock done of Flash...just keep forgetting.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    I make a donation to a charity on their birthdays. Birthday, not the day of their death, is what I try to remember.
    This is what I did in memory of my wonderful Harry. He was a black lab that I adopted "off the street". I took him to the local shelter, first just to see if anyone was looking for him, and then got them to let me officially adopt him through their office so no one could question my ownership! They also allowed me to participate in their low cost neuter program. He died at 10 of cancer. I had assigned him a "birthday" though of course the actual date was unknown. Every year on that date I would make a contribution to that shelter with a card showing it was in memory of Harry. They kept a picture of him on their front desk.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com