The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field Trial History pic

The historian has arrived
    Earl Dillow

the man in the picture is my friend WD "Bill" Connor and the picture is 1972 NFC AFC Royal Moose's Moe...I think the man in the background in the fedora is David Crow....

Hopefully WD will post up an excerpt from his book on how he got Moose from Doc Clayton....

I know Mr Crow because he took us out to dinner on more than one occasion and offered a then substantial amount of money to buy Judge (FC AFC Sourdough's Quickstart) from my brother in 1973..He actually had some engineers from his company take the dimensions from Rex's CL 1 and CL2 and duplicate them on his grounds in Louisiana..the man was a snappy dresser and would often be seen in a wool sportcoat,sometimes even in a tie or a turtleneck...His dog Happy Playboys Pearl won the NFC in 1974 at a EXTREMELY cold Weldon Springs Mo..

the trial was so cold that there was ice on the shoreline at the August A. Busch grounds....Judge was handled by Clint's friend/training partner John Luther who had driven all the way from College Station TX to No Florida to get a third place in an Open to qualify him for the National..They went out after 7 series which was pretty darn cool for a 3.5yr old dog...Lanse went out after the 7th with Jill and lasted till the 9th with Mariah...Roy McFall also went out after the 7th as did Jim Weitzel Sr (jd6400 dad)...the National went 11 series in 4 days...Lanse gave me a picture of all the amateur handlers that competed in that trial...also have a great picture of John/Judge which hangs in the living room in Idaho
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon is correct!!!!!I will get him tho,great stories,anybody else?Jim

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    MR Bill--MR Dale
    Congrats on the OH AM 2nd yesterday Jack!
    Bill Davis

I like history!!! HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

1972 NFC Royal Moose's Moe with O/H W. D. Connor and Dale Lundstrom who was one of the judges, the other two judges were Dr. Richard Ellis (OK) and Dick Johnson (FL), the trial was held at Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge in San Antonio NM