The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Cocker

Any breeders you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    If the question is 'aimed' at me? ....Nope!!! I never have and never will recommend any breeder of any breed! ,Never have in over 35 years! Including myself!!
    I could recommend 'Trainers'?, and 'Individual Dog's ' ?..
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    ...never have and never will recommend any breeder of any breed! ,Never have in over 35 years! Including myself!!...
    When you're indisputably the UK's top trainer of American cockers, you can afford to put that kind of integrity on the line, Robt. Personally, I would segue into saying that this latest prospect is another notch in the CV for your becoming the UK's top trainer of Boykins too.

But Dave's right in advising agin' the American cocker in favour of the fb model (a k a "pocket rocket"). They're as lost a gundog cause over here on their home ground as the Clumbers and, conservatively speaking,

99 out of 100 Sussex...

MG

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    Here's where you'll often find English Cockers for sale: http://www.fieldcockers.com/forsale.html

Unfortunately, I don't see any there now. Keep checking back as spring nears & you can pm me if you want my opinion.

I can't overstate the fact that the split between field & show is greater than any other breed. They are absolutely different breeds & only the AKC would mistake the two. They differ in looks, temperament, health even their tail doc. The good news is that the field bred dogs are surprisingly consistent in their ability to hunt.

Some of the top trainers below can also help find a puppy.

Tom Ness
    http://www.oahekennels.com/drupal/

Paul McGagh
    http://glencoekennels.net/reflections.html

Buck Grabowski
    http://www.bigcockerkennels.com/training1.aspx
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

That's very understandable, and I will keep looking for my next project. It's down to a cocker or a golden.

I don’t mean to try to discourage anyone from getting the dog they want. I happen to believe that if you like the look of your dog, you’ll do a better job w/ it & get more enjoyment from whatever he does.

I just find there are way to many people who will try to pass a dog off as a “hunting breed” when the likelihood of them becoming even adequate is remote. Crackerd’s mention of the Clumbers brings back a bitter memory of the time I was tricked into gunning for a Clumber test. I only consented because I’d never actually seen one hunt (and after a 2 day hunt test, I still haven’t).

As for your choice between a golden & a cocker, I feel compelled to mention that while I appreciate the cockers, I mostly enjoy them as other peoples dogs. The people who love them are the type of people who appreciate a spunky little dog who insists on doing things his way. Where a golden is biddable, earnest, and attentive, a cocker is mischievous, clever & willful. They are not for the guy who demands strict compliance but they do worm their way into your heart.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I have enjoyed hunting with English Cockers, and might consider one for myself some day. Have never seen an American one-other than the photos above-ever in the field. Do know about a few actual working Clumbers in the US, though.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hey MG!
    You know I just gotta have a giggle!
    Over all the breeds we train here,(AS YOU KNOW!) They are just a bluddy Dug!..From the Ridge backs,to the Collies, and my personal favorites 'Agassian' ...Yup! many who think?, they know about 'dogs'?,,will be 'googling right now!The 'only one' I ain't had a Go at! is the Boykin!?..(Another quest,besides My Falconry)..The wessex,the sussex,the english, the 'So called Field'?, the Clumber, The 'So called Water'?, The 'Cocker'(All continent)..They have intrigued and encouraged me in this 'Retriever world'!
    Yea! Yer Man that ''I am more than sure is honourable'' ! that quotes and 'er', promotes?, ''breeders''?.....
    Look what I get?.....This one is directly from 'Danderw Druid' !!! for christ sake!!:]http://www.workingcockersonline.com/apps/forums/topics/show/6064813
    confused:I call him the ''Undertaker''!!...So it surely 'Can't be the Breeding!!! Or the Breeder!.?

..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P-XlqtJsAs.

Nice wee dog now however? ...But then 'Showing him now! after a few weeks of training' ?.............What would that be showing????...The Breed?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lExSASCUKg
    Hah!!!! ???...It must be the breed!!! 'Surely'??
    These clips were taken last year around October /November I think!?. ....'Pop'...He is still with me !.....As 'One of My Dog's' !!!!...Couldn't do the job without Him!...
    Last edited by polmaise; 03-04-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Insert link for reference
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I've seen some pretty good Cockers in Spaniel Hunt Tests.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    I don’t mean to try to discourage anyone from getting the dog they want. I happen to believe that if you like the look of your dog, you’ll do a better job w/ it & get more enjoyment from whatever he does.

I just find there are way to many people who will try to pass a dog off as a “hunting breed” when the likelihood of them becoming even adequate is remote. Crackerd’s mention of the Clumbers brings back a bitter memory of the time I was tricked into gunning for a Clumber test. I only consented because I’d never actually seen one hunt (and after a 2 day hunt test, I still haven’t).

As for your choice between a golden & a cocker, I feel compelled to mention that while I appreciate the cockers, I mostly enjoy them as other peoples dogs. The people who love them are the type of people who appreciate a spunky little dog who insists on doing things his way. Where a golden is biddable, earnest, and attentive, a cocker is mischievous, clever & willful. They are not for the guy who demands strict compliance but they do worm their way into your heart.
    You do have a sense of humor. Were the clumbers that bad? I would love to see one work or is "working clumber" an oxymoron?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."