The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Cocker

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    You do have a sense of humor. Were the clumbers that bad? I would love to see one work or is "working clumber" an oxymoron?
    Well George, you know how in a spaniel hunt test the gallery walks along behind the judges & handler as they hunt down the course?

I spotted 2 people in the gallery who had brought folding chairs with them & after awhile, I realized they were on to something.

You want me to go on?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    a cocker is mischievous, clever & willful. They are not for the guy who demands strict compliance but they do worm their way into your heart.
    Yes... I had one that lived to be 17 years old. Excellent field dog, tracking dog, and agility dog. If I knew then what I know now, she would have been the foundation bitch for working American cockers. An excellent retriever and water dog to boot. Raised 5 of my labradors. Taught them all to be good citizens!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Maybe ? It should have been 'Cocker in America'?
    http://www.gundogmag.com/2010/09/23/...d_cocker_0807/
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Dad started out with cockers in the 50`s,the pics from those dogs and the ones of today are night and day.What a shame!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Dad started out with cockers in the 50`s,the pics from those dogs and the ones of today are night and day.What a shame!!!
    Is that American Cockers?,or English Cockers?, or all Cockers?

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Started with American Cockers......dad being dad always said "leave it to americans,and they will find a way to ruin a breed". Agree somewhat!!!Jim

Actually there's 3 varieties here. American, bench-bred English, & field-bred English. All entirely separate gene pools, phenotypes, & abilities but the AKC doesn't distinguish between the bench & field English dogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    Actually there's 3 varieties here. American, bench-bred English, & field-bred English. All entirely separate gene pools, phenotypes, & abilities but the AKC doesn't distinguish between the bench & field English dogs.
    Hmmm! The way those images are displayed Dave, almost 'show' a progression,or regression ,depending on how you look at it?

Hmmm! The way those images are displayed Dave, almost 'show' a progression,or regression ,depending on how you look at it?
    lol, I'll bet you & I'd agree on which direction it's going. It sure is easier to degrade a breed than to improve it.

I hadn't seen that Gundog article about Tom Ness before. I know Tom from the field trial circuit & the article is very accurate. His dogs are always top notch & he wins a lot. Watching him handle in a trial, he looks like he's just out for an afternoon stroll, hands in his pockets & not a care in the world as his dogs tear up the ground frantically finding & retrieving birds. It's really quite a show.