RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Searching for an answer

10K views 71 replies 55 participants last post by  kjsynergy 
#1 ·
My 11 year old female "Dixie" was found this evening in responsive... Unable to hold her head up... Shallow breathing, pale gums, pupils do react to light... Called my vet he says possible stroke or a cancerous tumor on her spleen that may have ruptured??? Said to keep her comfortable and give her 2 baby aspirins... Did not seem like he wanted me to bring her in... Am I doing all I can do by keeping her warm and comfortable? She's been such a wonderful friend to me for all these years, if she is passing I want to know I did all I could... Sorry for the ramble trying to type this in between tear drops...

Thanks Friends,

Richard

#4 ·
Oh Richard , I have no words of wisdom, but feel your pain and wish your Dixie pain free peace and for your strength to to make all the right decisions. Look in her eyes.....

#5 ·
I would be finding another vet or making my current one see her asap. Prayers to you and your girl.

#6 ·
I would be on my way to the ER vet or to my vet. Could be something that needs immediate treatment. Fluids, at the least.

#7 ·
My 11 year old female "Dixie" was found this evening in responsive... Unable to hold her head up... Shallow breathing, pale gums, pupils do react to light... Called my vet he says possible stroke or a cancerous tumor on her spleen that may have ruptured??? Said to keep her comfortable and give her 2 baby aspirins... Did not seem like he wanted me to bring her in... Am I doing all I can do by keeping her warm and comfortable? She's been such a wonderful friend to me for all these years, if she is passing I want to know I did all I could... Sorry for the ramble trying to type this in between tear drops

Thanks Friends,

Richard
I would rush to an emergency vet, get a diagnosis, and then make my decisions.

#8 ·
Richard,

The pale gums could be a symptom of a ruptured tumor on her spleen. The cancer that causes this is hemangiosarcoma. I've lost two to this. They seem to be OK one day and when the tumor ruptures they bleed out internally.

I'd follow the others advice and get her to a vet to see what problem is. I hope things work out for you both. You have my prayers.

Swack

#10 ·
Forgot it hurt like this... Haven't lost one in quite some time... Just love her so much and wish I could have just a little more time to tell her what she meant 2 me...

Richard

#13 ·
Good luck Richard.

#15 ·
Had a similar situation a number of years ago. Took her in to Michigan State at midnight. She was in septic shock due to a ruptured uterus that introduced bacteria to the abdominal cavity. They were able to save her,.just not her uterus. Said she wouldn't have made it through the night if I hadn't taken her in. I hope it's something simple and the results are good. Will definitely keep her in my prayers.

#21 ·
So sorry for your loss. Im sure that most of us here are dog lovers and can empathize with your pain. Over the last forty years I've had to say goodby to 7 wonderful companions. Even now I remember each one in loving memory. The price of the love is the pain at the end but in time the pain dulls and the fond memories remain.

Rest in peace.

#23 ·
I am sorry Richard

#24 ·
So sorry for your loss Richard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.