The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Confessions of a Duck-Plucker

Default Confessions of a Duck-Plucker

Probably putting the cart in front of the horse and the pup is young (11wks), and not ready for forcing but really loves birds, bumper are semi-OK but BIRDS (Live-Dead Frozen) anything with feathers is heaven, desert are crossed and water forged for birds & feathers. Only problem is I got a Pup that can pluck a bird in 5 seconds, looking for suggestion on how to break this habit before we start breaking skin . We've gotten pass the human puppy biting thing, she has control of her mouth pressure on other objects, it just hasn't transferred over to birds yet. Get a bird in her mouth and invulnerably her eyes glow red and the plucking begins . So I guess I'm looking for hints on how to transfer mouth control over to birds. Yes I could just not give her birds, we've been trying that however, when she's out she will find them, and I feel this is a issue I'll have to deal with eventually, might as well get a head start on it now, before anythings ingrained.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Don't all pups pluck and eat feathers? Mine will dig feathers out of snowbanks to eat them. She will bring birds back no problem but if unattended will start plucking and licking and you know what comes next.

Don't use birds until you FF. If you want to keep "feathers" in the retrieve, tie wings to the bumpers. Otherwise you could inadvertently teach bad mouth manners...and if you know she bird crazy then there is no need to worry about lots of birds right now.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Don't use birds until you FF. If you want to keep "feathers" in the retrieve, tie wings to the bumpers. Otherwise you could inadvertently teach bad mouth manners...and if you know she bird crazy then there is no need to worry about lots of birds right now.
    +5 here. I wouldn't use birds until the dog is FF. Easier to avoid problems than correct them later. With that kind of drive for birds, you shouldn't have a problem. Just a matter of teaching correct bird manners, and that's pretty much FF.

+10 and you may create a dog that ONLY likes birds
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Gosh Dang, so long since I've had a puppy. Either I've never had one that was a duck plucker, or I don't remember how I solved it. I'd usually be introducing trailing @ this stage, I like to get that done before we get into real structured training; but unless we can introduce a new attitude to birds, that'll be on hold. That slightly concerns me as I'd like another ditch dog and bush-buster, seems early introduction to cover & trailing, creates a boldness that really helps with that.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)