The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for you guys with Taxidermy mounts

Here is a Black Duck that I had done on a wall pedestal . . .

photoduck.JPG

Being a taxidermist for over 35 years, I have done a lot of pedastal mounts. I really like them as they give you a chance to view your mounts 360 degrees. You can also move it around and it will fit anywhere in your room. The focus point of a mount is usually the face. Wall mounts and pedastals on big game give you that focal point. People normally walk up,look at the face and then look over the rest of the mount. If a lifesize small/medium mammal or turkey is mounted, they normally are on a base on the floor. The head is usually facing at your knee caps which takes away from the mount. If you raise it up on a pedastal, it changes everything and enhances the mount. There are lots of pedastals bases on the market or you can easily make your own. They are designed for small birds up to elk, table or floor. If you buy the proper pedastal to match your mount, you won't need sand bags in it to stabilize it. A pedastal base also opens ups your imagination on how you may want to display your mount. The reason a lot of people don't go with them is the extra costs, as a really nice oak base can be $400.00 and with added habitat it is even more. You can also go with a simple pedastal base. Hopefully this will help in your decision.
    HRCH UH C & L 's Madison Grace MH....500 Points (blinddogmaddie)

HR UH Smokin' Hot Mac-Kenzie.....WINNER of the 2013 Milwaukee Sports Show Fastest Retriever Contest (40 dogs entered)

Len Gums