RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Crate Recomendation?

5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Meleagris1 
#1 ·
I have a BLF that has out drown the small crate we got for her and want to get one for all purposes, she sleeps in the house in it and travels in truck in it, what's the best crate out there? I also want to get a camo or brown cover for it?

Thanks Beau

#2 ·
I just picked up a Petmate Vari-Kennel and I'm pretty happy with it. I ordered it from Petco.com... I got 20% off and free shipping. I paid around 81 bucks for a crate that normally runs 100-120 bucks. Couldn't beat it. I plan to get one of the Mud River insulated covers for it eventually.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Beau, you will pay a little more, but Get the RTK!!! It is solid, one piece construction with great doors and ventilation. The owner of the company is great to deal with. I will never have another Petmate type in my truck again. Dropped an empty one off the tailgate at a stand still and it busted open. Plus RTK has all kinds of tie down and add-on options. Mud river makes covers that fit all size RTK's.

#5 ·
#18 ·
Superior customer service and our 3 kennels have worked great for us through weather in MI, ND and TX with many inbetweens. The meduim size also fits 3 wide in a full sized pickup bed.

#13 · (Edited)
i've got the large and my CLM is right at 75 lbs. He's got a little more room than i thought he would. wish i would of had a dealer to test them before i bought mine. i might would of went with the intermediate for road trips as he can get thrown from side to side course that might be his handler's fancy driving skills. if its strictly a house kennel then large is the way to go. if he wouldnt chew every floor covering i've put down then he would have something to grip so right now he's got smooth floors too though

but like everyone said well worth the money! get the handles kit if you are getting a large. i was gonna go with the tray but someone suggested handles and that was def the way to go as they are right around 50lbs

edit: i will say he has become smart when we go on trips that everything is a lot easier for him if he justs sit down so just like he has become "collar wise" he's also become "kennel wise". so the days of him actually getting thrown around are behind us

#14 ·
My dogs range from 65 tp 75 pounds and we have the intermediate. Since we use it for travel, (have a two hole box and ended up with three dogs) it is the perfect size for all of them as they have enough room to stand and turn around, but not so much that they can get thrown around! And for the record, I have not been to outer space. Seems like we just had a visitor from there for about 3 posts. Gone now. I do live in NM though, think I'm attracting them?

#17 ·
Mud River Covers. They make several different kinds. I went to ND duck hunting in Oct & I live in FL Kept my dog outside in rearof SUV at night in low teens & snow. She was warm in mornings when I let her out. Mud Riverer covers have a lot of dog/handler pockets that help keep you organized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.