The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Pet containment?

Default Pet containment?

I have a fairly large yard and was wondering if a pet containment system would create any problems in trainning. I do some trainning in my yard but nothing that goes outside of the boundrys of my property, I go off site for that.
    Thanks

I have an Invisible Fence and there have been no issues with my dog. I believe I did intentionally wait until he had been collar conditioned for the e-collar before I put him through the process for the Invisible Fence. I think it worked better that way than it would have the other way around. I will state that my dog is pretty "soft" when it comes to e-collar pressure and is generally a pretty compliant dog.

The Invisible Fence people told me that most "failures" occur because people think their dog fully understands before he really does and they abandon the training thinking their dog is fully trained. This is similar to some of the retriever training processes where we can mess up by thinking the dog has got a particular concept and moving on to the next one too soon.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I also use an Invisible Fence. I train my retievers on the containment system starting around 8 to 10 weeks. I have never had an issue with it affecting thier future retriever work.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

I just put together a kennel 10x6x6 yesterday for daytimes and one of my pups. He spent approximately 20 minutes in it before jumping over the 6 foot fence. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. My suggestion: Invisible fence!

I guess I should note that I do not use my Invisible Fence when nobody is home. Our dog is in the house most of the time. When he wants to go out I put on the IF collar and let him out. I've added a nameplate with our phone number to the IF collar (there is no ring on it for a tag). He stays out until he barks to come back in. It might be 5 minutes or 1-2 hours. I would never leave him in it when I am not at home.

It does not prevent other dogs from coming in and it does not prevent someone from walking in and taking off his collar, but I've had meter readers let my old dog out of our chain link fence (in their stupidity, not on purpose) where I grew up, so nothing is truly foolproof. If you get on the battery plan they will send you a new battery every quarter so you keep a fresh one in. Last year I accidentally got off the battery plan. I guess I didn't see their renewal message, I don't know, but I lost track of time and his battery went dead and he ran off a couple of times. Luckily he came right up to neighbors because he wanted to play and they brought him home. As soon as we got the new battery he realized that the boundaries were restored. I don't think he normally tests his boundaries but I do think he relies on the TONE to let him know when he needs to retreat to avoid a shock and when he stopped getting the tone he gradually went a little farther and a little farther until he realized he was free.

I do not claim that it is ideal for all dogs but it has worked well for both of the dogs we've tried it on (2 labs). He gains access to the whole yard instead of just the back as he would with a fence and it works well for all involved because when my wife and the kids are out in the yard with him I don't have to worry about them keeping an eye on him or whether he respects them enough because he definitely respects the Invisible Fence.

I have had it get cut a couple of times also (the underground wire), by utilities people and maybe a landscaper, but overall it has been pretty trouble free for many years, probably 12-15 years now.
    Last edited by HuntinDawg; 03-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Thanks for the input. I guess now I have to figure out if I want wireless or in-ground.