The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Force to Water

Default Force to Water

I am just curious how many of you have had to do multiple force to water sessions with thier dog? Would there be any justified reason to do another force to water session on a dog that had one of these sessions four years ago and the dog is now 5+ years old. Would you ever do a second force to water session (assuming there there was an initial one) on a dog that has a less than stellar attitude towards water?
    HRCH Ashland's Dixieland Delight MH - "Dixie"

Yes, I think people do revisit forcing to water when it's needed. I have a fairly talented dog that didn't get properly water forced, because of hurrying to get her swim bys done before the water got too cold. Last summer (a year after she'd had her initial water force/swim by) some problems started cropping up in her water blinds. I got some help from a very experienced amateur field trialer who was kind enough to give me and the dog a lesson and teach me how to properly water force a dog. (Imagine that, I'd done a half-arsed job!) He patiently explained about timing, raising the level, backing off, etc. and also laid out a plan of what to do and how to address problems for the remainder of her forcing. He mentioned he'd revisited water force recently with one of his experienced all age dogs, who'd been properly forced as a youngster and was 6 at the time. I don't think you'd need to go through the entire force program, though. I put my dog through about 8 or 9 sessions over 2 weeks, mixing it up with marking, but no other blinds til I was finished, probably the way it should've been done from the git go. I see you're in FL; I'm guessing for those of us further north this isn't something you'd do when the water is cold.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I revisit water force and swim by in the spring when the ponds get a liquid top. Young dogs more, old dogs less.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard and Julie may have interpreted the question properly.

I just wanted to clarify that this dog was exposed to water force as part of a stepwise basics program. Was that the case? The way the original post is worded was unclear to me.

If the dog has been through a basics program that involves water force, then I'd concur with the other replies.

Taken literally, it looks like the dog had one session of water force 4 years ago, and the question is whether it's time for another session. The conservative response to the question, with some details unknown would be "no", in my opinion.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

The theory behind forcing into the water is to make your dog understand that he must go into the water when commanded. if you got that point across,it would be rare that i would recommend re-forcing. You now have the tool to deal with not getting into the water while training, use it wisely. if the basics were properly done, there is no need to go back land redo any of them.
    Good luck
    GG
    NO DOG WILL PERFORM TO HIS TRAINING LEVEL UNLESS HIS HANDLER IS CAPABLE OF MAKING HIM DO SO!
    reibar.com