The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Need Help Choosing a Style

Default Need Help Choosing a Style

After many back and forth decisions, I need some veteran's help choosing a training method. I have the Smartwork Basics DVD set and also "Richard Wolters Trains Retrievers". My dilemma is that both of these DVDs are on complete opposite ends of training styles. Smartwork uses the e-collar, while Richard Wolters uses a whistle. I can afford to purchase an e-collar so money isn't the problem. I guess I just need help deciding which style a trainer with more experience would suggest that I use?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

I'm pretty sure that Smartworks uses a whistle too.

There are as many diffferent styles as there are trainers, which is to say that you'll develop your own whether you do it intentionally or not. I think a trainer's style is the product of the "mechanics" he applies in combination with his individual temperament. If you subscribe to that, then you can understand that you really can't imitate someone else's style. You can apply someone else's methods, but they may not give you the same results, because their effectiveness is partly based on the way you personally connect with and read a dog.

The best you can do is study the experts - as many as you can, and then apply the techniques that you are most comfortable with and that get you the response you're looking for from your dog. Don't be afraid to adjust yourself, and don't expect your dog to fit a certain program that you've read in a book or watched on a DVD. Make the program fit the dog.

A training collar is an invaluable tool. But it isn't magic, and isn't a substitute for good technique and an ability to read the obvious and subtle responses from your dog. You still have to know how to reach and teach. The collar then becomes reinforcement for concepts your dog already understands. In the wrong hands, it is at best ineffective, and at worst can permanently ruin a dog.
    Last edited by WhisperingHills; 03-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

It depends on your goals. You can have a nice dog without a collar.

But, as said earlier, done correctly you can advance your dog further and more quickly with a collar.

You have to learn how to train a dog, plus learn how to do it with the collar. Best to get with someone who knows what to do for help along the way. Usually you join a retriever club and get into a training group.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I have trained dogs using both methods. There is no way I would return to my non collar days! A mentor is the fastest track to becoming a good trainer. After 16 years, I am still looking for mine.
    Mark Land

Keep in mind only 1 of the 2 you mentioned ever trained dogs professionally
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Keep in mind only 1 of the 2 you mentioned ever trained dogs professionally
    X2 Very diplomatically stated

Email me anytime you like to rushcreekpress@aol.com or call me after this weekend when I'm home from vacation. My number is 816-213-9397.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 03-05-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile