The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting/Rekindling a retriever club....

Default Starting/Rekindling a retriever club....

We have a retriever club in my town, of which I'm a member. I used to get emails and notices about training days, and I went several times. I was the only one for a while. Thing is, the club has all but dried up and disappeared it seems. I have recently reached out via Facebook (cause to be honest, I only know a few members), but it just isn't working that well.

I may be well out of my league here, but what are some good ideas to rekindle a once active club? I live in a part of the country that is full of retriever owners, goose and pheasant hunters, and people who love hunting dogs.

I would love to hear what some of you have done to rekindle your local clubs. I'm sure it's happened in other places.

Thanks everyone.....just would like to see our club get back to what it used to be.

Dood, your the only member and calling it a klub?? Buy a couple of cases of beer, somebody will show up with a hound in the bed of the truck to hep ya drinkem.
    If a dog club were a viable entity in A town I am sure it would exist already or have more than one live member. I appreciate your gumpshun but you may be try'n to push a rope. Let us know if you get it going.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Don't have any great ideas.

But, one of my favorite field trials was the Texas Panhandle Retriever Club. Great, fun, and unique grounds

Good luck!
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Dood, your the only member and calling it a klub?? Buy a couple of cases of beer, somebody will show up with a hound in the bed of the truck to hep ya drinkem.
    If a dog club were a viable entity in A town I am sure it would exist already or have more than one live member. I appreciate your gumpshun but you may be try'n to push a rope. Let us know if you get it going.
    Who said I was the only member? Actually, it was once a thriving club from what I hear. They put on two hunt tests per year, had a rather large and active training group. May seem like a wolf pack of one to you, but I happen to know there were many members at one time.

Just tryin to make it a wolfpac of several....know what I'm sayin bro!?! Not many "hounds" up in these parts either....

Would try to post notices at the academy's in town about club formation, try AKC, local sporting goods classifieds and Internet sites in region.

Just funnin ya
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Good ideas....

Thought maybe some members were on RTF....I'm sure they are, but if its anything like the club here, they probably haven't posted in 2 years....

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    We have a retriever club in my town, of which I'm a member. I used to get emails and notices about training days, and I went several times. I was the only one for a while.
    You were the only one who showed up? Did the club move and not tell you? Are you telling us that you are the Joe Dirt of your retriever club?

I really don't know what to tell you. Go to the HRC website and look for clubs that are close by and make some contacts.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Use to run their NAHRA HT....if they ever get going again, I'd more than likely run a FT, but if my memory serves me correctly, they were mostly HTs...only a handful of FTs? Best of luck...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

This may not work in the US but if you have lots of hunters you could try appealing to the ego that goes with a well trained gundog on the duck swamp eg collecting downed birds the next person can't! People with young dogs now could be helped for next duck season. We find that quite a lot of people want a trained duck dog but not necessarily for trialling. This might then lead on to some sort of competition - or at lest that what we are hoping.
    If you play their game train the way they train

You said you know a few members. Have you talked to them? Are you sure the club is dying or are you just not being contacted any more? Funny thing to ask.... did you pay your dues?

That is a serious question I am asking. Members forget to pay their dues, get dropped from the roster, and wonder why they don't get any training day notices or meeting notices.

If the club is truly dying and near dead, the best advice I can give is to contact as many old members you can locate and try to revitalize their interest in saving the club. Be prepared to attend meetings and volunteer to help at club events. Clubs die because the movers and doers get burned out. Every club needs new blood. Club sponsored training days that are well advertised can bring in new members. You need to encourage their interest and get them involved in the club.

I think it would be easier to rekindle a club than start a new one from scratch. If you don't have the time and are not interested in becoming active to rekindle this club, it will be easier for you to find a club elsewhere and join it.

Helen