RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Shot fliers at hunt test

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Hunt'EmUp 
#1 ·
Planning to head into Spokane, Washington and/or Helena, Montana for a couple NAHRA hunt tests in May. I've been told that shot fliers will probably be used. Since we are located in Canada we don't use shot fliers at all. Wondering how much of a issue this will be for a young dog at a hunt test. My pup will probably come unglued at the line with excitement.

Any tips on training for that?

#4 ·
It will make a huge difference. I don't know Canadian laws, possibly you could use wing clipped pigeons or live ducks with a baby sock over their head. The other problem is if the flyer is only wounded and your dog hasn't picked up a cripple. What stake are you running?
I live 35 miles from Helena, if you come down a little early I could shoot some flyers for you.

#5 ·
Meanwhile, you can probably simulate most of the flyer station excitement and suction at home. Multiple gunners with shotguns, multiple shots, short winger throws that temp dogs to break, crate of quacking birds at the station, marks and blinds tight to the flyer station, through the scent, etc.

#6 ·
IMHO!:):)

If the dog hasnt ever seen a Flyer before,, then I dont think the factor of excitement will be an issue, cause the dog wont know. They dont anticipate the flyer till they have seen a few, and know one of the stations has a live bird.. They do learn it pretty fast though.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that the flyer, just becuse of the nature of them, have scattered fall areas,compared to dead hand thrown birds, or dead birds from wingers. If you are running late in the order, the dog will have to learn to work through old falls to find the bird. With young dogs,, that can be a problem.

Gooser

#8 ·
Planning to enter him in the Hunter stakes - MAYBE Intermediate. Not quite at that level yet but close enough to taste it! He's been hunting and has retrieved a couple crippled ducks/geese so Im not too worried there. I think having him break is going to be my biggest concern.

#9 ·
Get some pigeons and using shears, trim off the primary wing feathers. Use these birds out of a winger and have your gunner fire at least twice. They will fly about 30 yds from the winger and flutter down, just like a cripple. If your dog has a gentle mouth, you can use the same birds every other day. This is a pretty good simulated flyer.

When you're finished, you can let them grow the feathers back out and release them, if you wish. - Paul

#10 ·
If he hasn't run a HT before and is almost ready for Intermediate, run STARTED. Use a slip lead and demand good manners. He'll learn that HTs are FUN, but that he still has to mind.

Almost passing Intermediate at the expense of letting him have bad manners will teach him HTs are REALLY FUN - he doesn't have to mind at all. That lesson will haunt you.

Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

#14 ·
True he has seen shot fliers in a hunting scenario, but a hunt test is a different level of excitement - not more or less excitement but different. Besides he has broke before in a hunting situation, so he could very well break at a HT as well. Training for that not to happen, but you never know what he might be thinking while sitting at the line!

#15 ·
Hunter your allowed a controlled break, but NARHA you can talk to your dog so talk to him and don't let him break ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.