The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: What do you think it means....?

Default What do you think it means....?

I have a 18 month old BLM that I dont believe will ever be accused of being absolutly obsessed with retrieving bumpers but after we get done training and throwing him a couple of fun bumpers to end the session, as were walking back to the truck he will try to nip/bite my pant leg or the side of my boot. I never really thought much of it until now other than it being a bad habbit and correcting him for doing so. I just figured he was excited and being a puppy wanting to play.

So i guess what i am really getting at is, could this be his way of trying to tell me he wants more retrieves rather than running around waiting for me to throw another. And the reason I ask this is because since day one of our training I have always tried to make him as crazy as possible about retrieving and being very limited on the number of bumpers I will throw for him. But I feel like sometimes he could care less even if I only throw one fun bumper and put it up. Oh and he NEVER does this until we are finished training for that session. Actually now I think about it, I think he has done it once or twice after we got done hunting and were walking back to the truck. Please advise what you think this means and why he would do this? Thanks!

I think you should not worry about what it means and stop tolerating that behavior.
    Bert Rodgers

G Force I learned the hard way with a fiasco of a hunt test experience that some dogs just out right need to be in "Control" from start to finish. I dont like that behavior as you dont. My lab showed signs of complete psychopathic behavior at hunt tests from the gate of the truck til I sat her down on the line. My adjustments were advised on this board were to take full control from start to finish. So now when I open her crate I have her sit. When she jumps off its to an immediate sit. I use a lead and or collar depending on the situation. I do this whether its a long walk from the truck to the blind or in training or in a hunt test situation. Now that shes 20 months I enforce control off a lead as well. She even needed me to exhibit some sort of control when I went to air her out on long travel trips. She went ape _ _ _ t and I was astonished. NO MORE! Its paying off now and I needed to reinforce that early. For your pup, maybe its on a leash and heel to the car before you crate him. His fun reward is not fun throws but a treat in the crate? Showing him the end of training is still fun but with limited freelance? Train to the crate. In and out. I think its more anxiety than anything. He finds this stimulating and does this as a release. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Griddoc; 03-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.

G-force,

Sounds like your dog just might have a little bit of that "Mississippi Leg Hound" in him.

I don't know why he does it but I promise a little bit of boot leather will stop it pretty quick.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (But no free jacket).

This behavior should not be tolerated and you need to change the pups mind about the end of a training session. As suggested, stiff obedience practices from the truck to the line and back to the truck. Perhaps an obedience drill at the end of marks, ie. put dog in a sit at the line, you walk half way to truck, call dog to heel, sit again, walk to truck, call dog...do not immediately kennel him, do some left and right heeling..at your side or on leash. Change his mind about what to anticipate at the end of a session.

Are you always throwing these "fun" bumpers from your side? Has pup seen multiple stations/throwers in the field? At 18 mos., I would think "fun" bumpers are boring and pup is not being challenged to learn something new. Change your behavior to zero tolerance and change pups mind by giving him something new to think about.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

BTW , what it means is the dog still considers the whole retrieving thing as a game that he thought up and controls.
    Bert Rodgers