The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup Off To Training

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    Hey Yellow,

Interested in where you left off with her training and what you and the trainer have agreed to getting/delivering over the 3 months while your dog is with the trainer.

Thanks!

I started her with live flyers and a long check cord. Lots of praise on return. Trainer did not want any obedience work done by me and no pressure. Just wanted prey drive instilled. Trainer for the first month will work on obedience only. sit, stay, heal, here, whistle sit. Second month is force work. Third month is field work,whistle training and casting. Rest will be finished by myself with his guidience and grounds.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Saxxx011 View Post
    Yellow,

Where are you taking your dog for training? I have a 12 week old lab and am looking into taking her somewhere around 6 months.
    Jeff Latour at Elk River Kennels. Great trainer and good price. He opens up his grounds in the summer on Tuesdays for anyone who wants to come and use his grounds. 763-263-6200

Great decision! My boy came back a different dog. Obedient and loving work like never before. All subsequent trips to the trainer for lessons are excellent; he LOVES his trainer which says so much about how he was treated when there. Good luck. Oz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Yellow-

I had a great conversation with Jeff yesterday and I am going to take the pup and my wife out to meet him in a week or so. Can you give me any other feed back on him? Have you worked with him before?

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Just dropped off my 6mo YLF for training for three months. It's only been a few days and we miss her energy around the house. It is going to be a long wait. Im already bored. Can't wait to get her in the games this summer. Maybe we can give the pros a run for their money.

Be sure to get your trainer to show you how to run the dog.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (But no free jacket).

Yellow-

I had a great conversation with Jeff yesterday and I am going to take the pup and my wife out to meet him in a week or so. Can you give me any other feed back on him? Have you worked with him before?
    Jeff let me use his grounds all fall and winter. He would watch and tell me how I was doing. Jeff gave me specific instructions on what to work on the first six months and that was huge to me. Also he get a dog in that was ready to go in training and was not screwed up by a owner that instilled bad habits. Other pros were not as inviting as Jeff was. Come out this summer on Tuesdays and we can train together. I dont have a ton of answers but have some. I am learning as you will. Yes Lonnie I will get instructions on how to run the dog at games. I do not want to be the newbie others laugh at.
    Saxxx Check your PM for my contact information

Thanks Yellow. I will give you a call tonight, hopefully. I cannot PM you because I need more posts. I will definetly come and train with you on Tuesday nights. When your dog is in training with Jeff, how often are you going to go see her and work with her and Jeff?

Thanks Yellow. I will give you a call tonight, hopefully. I cannot PM you because I need more posts. I will definetly come and train with you on Tuesday nights. When your dog is in training with Jeff, how often are you going to go see her and work with her and Jeff?
    No contact the first four weeks. update at two weeks by phone. rest of the time he said I am welcome to come out and train with them and my dog anytime. What city do you live in?

I live in Andover. Probabaly about 20-25 mins from Jeff's place.

Saxxx, Get your pup on live birds and start building the prey drive. Best thing you can do with a young one. I will be out working with jeff in about three weeks and you are more than welcome to come see what he did with my pup through four weeks. Remember it is about training the handler and the dog. My pups name is Belle. Jeff has some live flyers he can sell you and grounds to work. You will be amazed at his grounds. Ponds, grassy fields, short grass land, woods. I am going crazy waiting for spring to hit to get some good work in. See you this spring.