The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Saving conservatism : If only the AWM will listen

Default Saving conservatism : If only the AWM will listen

Very good piece. If only they listen and act.

> Saving conservatism

Talking truth to CPAC

By Jennifer Rubin

The Conservative Political Action Conference is taking a lot of guff, and rightly so, from conservatives over excluding New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and gay rights groups such as GOProud from its gathering later this month.

But rather than stay away from CPAC, conservatives who recognize the self-destructive aspects of the movement should discuss their concerns openly and candidly. The most valuable conservatives are the ones willing to convey hard truths.

Those who say the right needs only to be more articulate and more forceful in defense of the exact same agenda are kidding themselves. Those who say they canít find common ground with gay conservatives who believe in capitalism, Second A m e n d m e n t rights and federalism are harming the movement, the party and the country. Those who refuse to recognize that we will not deport 11 million immigrants who came here illegally are in Never Never Land and are defending a lawless system, not the ďrule of law.Ē

It is also time to stop complaining about the left and the voters. Conservatives sound too whiny; victimhood is unappealing. They need to be forward-looking, optimistic and practical. It is not enough to be against Obamacare. They must be for market-based health care reform. It is insufficient to be against excessive spending. They must be for entitlement and tax reform. Itís not enough to rail against the breakdown of the family. They must be for policies that encourage and sustain marriage and make child rearing easier and less costly. Itís not going to work just to inveigh against teachers unions; conservatives have to enact school reform, including school choice.

Conservatives have to look at fellow Americans who didnít vote for the GOP last time and consider what in the conservative pantheon of ideas is going to capture their imagination and address their needs. And they have to stop fighting battles that Americans donít want them to fight and stop talking only to themselves. States are not going to unlegalize gay marriage.

CPAC should pass out the writings of theorists Edmund Burke and Russell Kirk. They were practical and prudent, and they understood that we cannot remake our fellow citizens or reinvent their habits and inclinations. They understood that limited government is not an end unto itself but a guarantee of liberty. And they knew that by rejecting the utopianism of the left and remaining grounded in the world around us, Americans can expand freedom and create a prosperous, vibrant and decent society.

The leaders of CPAC and many in the conservative movement have lost track of that
    . They are creatures of the 1980s, when our problems, our country and the world were different. They became so adept at the politics of the 1980s that they never left that decade. Younger conservatives have to take the movement into their own hands, refurbish it, revitalize it, cast off what is not relevant and persuade others to join the movement. That is the only way conservatism survives.

Jennifer Rubin writes for the Washington Post.

CPAC should pass out the writings of theorists Edmund Burke and Russell Kirk. They were practical and prudent, and they understood that we cannot remake our fellow citizens or reinvent their habits and inclinations.

Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Very good piece. If only they listen and act.

> Saving conservatism

Talking truth to CPAC

By Jennifer Rubin

The Conservative Political Action Conference is taking a lot of guff, and rightly so, from conservatives over excluding New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and gay rights groups such as GOProud from its gathering later this month.

But rather than stay away from CPAC, conservatives who recognize the self-destructive aspects of the movement should discuss their concerns openly and candidly. The most valuable conservatives are the ones willing to convey hard truths.

Those who say the right needs only to be more articulate and more forceful in defense of the exact same agenda are kidding themselves. Those who say they can’t find common ground with gay conservatives who believe in capitalism, Second A m e n d m e n t rights and federalism are harming the movement, the party and the country. Those who refuse to recognize that we will not deport 11 million immigrants who came here illegally are in Never Never Land and are defending a lawless system, not the “rule of law.”

It is also time to stop complaining about the left and the voters. Conservatives sound too whiny; victimhood is unappealing. They need to be forward-looking, optimistic and practical. It is not enough to be against Obamacare. They must be for market-based health care reform. It is insufficient to be against excessive spending. They must be for entitlement and tax reform. It’s not enough to rail against the breakdown of the family. They must be for policies that encourage and sustain marriage and make child rearing easier and less costly. It’s not going to work just to inveigh against teachers unions; conservatives have to enact school reform, including school choice.

Conservatives have to look at fellow Americans who didn’t vote for the GOP last time and consider what in the conservative pantheon of ideas is going to capture their imagination and address their needs. And they have to stop fighting battles that Americans don’t want them to fight and stop talking only to themselves. States are not going to unlegalize gay marriage.

CPAC should pass out the writings of theorists Edmund Burke and Russell Kirk. They were practical and prudent, and they understood that we cannot remake our fellow citizens or reinvent their habits and inclinations. They understood that limited government is not an end unto itself but a guarantee of liberty. And they knew that by rejecting the utopianism of the left and remaining grounded in the world around us, Americans can expand freedom and create a prosperous, vibrant and decent society.

The leaders of CPAC and many in the conservative movement have lost track of that
    . They are creatures of the 1980s, when our problems, our country and the world were different. They became so adept at the politics of the 1980s that they never left that decade. Younger conservatives have to take the movement into their own hands, refurbish it, revitalize it, cast off what is not relevant and persuade others to join the movement. That is the only way conservatism survives.

Jennifer Rubin writes for the Washington Post.

CPAC should pass out the writings of theorists Edmund Burke and Russell Kirk. They were practical and prudent, and they understood that we cannot remake our fellow citizens or reinvent their habits and inclinations.

I believe it's important, however to recognize when there's an obvious turncoat amongst us. Banning a Christy after his jumping off the res only makes sense. Furthermore why would that get-together pay any attention to what a writer in the far left W-Post advise. Near as I can tell, adding a Christy to the rest of the east coast RINOs only adds to the bullshit real conservatives have to listen to.

We've had enough of that shove-it-down-their-throats establishment Republicanism, that is what the likes of Franco and Mudminnow rail against...and I'm also in that camp. If the Tea Partys in this nation can't get done what we did in 2010, we can expect this country to never recover in the next two decades. If we don't get it turned around in '14, there will never be another election that can be won by any conservatives, and certainly not Libertarians.

UB

PS I'd certainly be in favor of some good Edmond Burke theory being taught to this convention, so in that regard, I could be considered interested in how a writer in the "Post" would be knowledgeable in that type of historical figure.

PPS What should also be included in this convention is someone reminding everyone this well known axiomatic founders quotes: “I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” — James Madison
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 03-05-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: worthwhile addition
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

I enjoy watching the coverage of CPAC on TV. They are mostly Libertarian in mind but invite mostly NeoCons to the event. All one has to do is look at who they supported for President the last couple of years. They talk Liberty, vote Liberty at the event, yet when they leave they revert right back to the status quo.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I believe it's important, however to recognize when there's an obvious turncoat amongst us. Banning a Christy after his jumping off the res only makes sense. Furthermore why would that get-together pay any attention to what a writer in the far left W-Post advise. Near as I can tell, adding a Christy to the rest of the east coast RINOs only adds to the bullshit real conservatives have to listen to.

We've had enough of that shove-it-down-their-throats establishment Republicanism, that is what the likes of Franco and Mudminnow rail against...and I'm also in that camp. If the Tea Partys in this nation can't get done what we did in 2010, we can expect this country to never recover in the next two decades. If we don't get it turned around in '14, there will never be another election that can be won by any conservatives, and certainly not Libertarians.

UB

PS I'd certainly be in favor of some good Edmond Burke theory being taught to this convention, so in that regard, I could be considered interested in how a writer in the "Post" would be knowledgeable in that type of historical figure.
    If the Tea Party is viable in 2014, then you know they will support Rand Paul. Rand is the choice of the Teas and Libertarians. The question is; When the GOP estblaishment rejects Rand's bid for the GOP nomination, will the Teas support Rand on the Libertarian ticket?
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

While there are some differences in philosophy between conservatives and libertarians, it has nothing to do with that. It would be no different that throwing away your votes, like was done this past election...or when Perot ran. It accomplishes nothing more that voting for the opposition, and locks in a real loser. While this past election's third party didn't have that much impact, unlike what the Perot third party did to upset GHWB. This past election was a rejection of the Republican establishment's attemp again to shove their candidate down the throats of true conservatives. When you have over 4 million staying away from the poles, you have to assume your candidate didn't say the right things to sway their minds. I agreed with them, but felt the alternative was far worse for the nation than voting for even a partial conservative, and I still believe that.

There's no way Romney would be dumping on this country as badly as this empty suit is doing. Especially since he has yet to start acting like a sitting president, and not a campaigning nincompoop. The only activity presidential is his pathetic appointments to his cabinet, and yet we have some fools on RTF that can't wait for his appointments to the SCOTUS.

If this nation rolls over and allows the Democrats to get further entrenched, and the Republicans don't take the numbers in the Senate that are available to them, you can kiss it all goodby. And you can promote Libertarians for coming elections until you are blue in the face, and you will not succeed for another generation. It's obviously something that I won't be arouind to witness, but it's highly likely, you'll never see it in your lifetime either.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    While there are some differences in philosophy between conservatives and libertarians, it has nothing to do with that. It would be no different that throwing away your votes, like was done this past election...or when Perot ran. It accomplishes nothing more that voting for the opposition, and locks in a real loser. While this past election's third party didn't have that much impact, unlike what the Perot third party did to upset GHWB. This past election was a rejection of the Republican establishment's attemp again to shove their candidate down the throats of true conservatives. When you have over 4 million staying away from the poles, you have to assume your candidate didn't say the right things to sway their minds. I agreed with them, but felt the alternative was far worse for the nation than voting for even a partial conservative, and I still believe that.

There's no way Romney would be dumping on this country as badly as this empty suit is doing. Especially since he has yet to start acting like a sitting president, and not a campaigning nincompoop. The only activity presidential is his pathetic appointments to his cabinet, and yet we have some fools on RTF that can't wait for his appointments to the SCOTUS.

If this nation rolls over and allows the Democrats to get further entrenched, and the Republicans don't take the numbers in the Senate that are available to them, you can kiss it all goodby. And you can promote Libertarians for coming elections until you are blue in the face, and you will not succeed for another generation. It's obviously something that I won't be arouind to witness, but it's highly likely, you'll never see it in your lifetime either.

UB
    The world today moves at a faster pace than anytime in our past. There were a lot of people that stayed away because they don't trust the Repubs or Dems and the media did shut out other voices. We call them the disenfranchised...people that have been deserted by the Repubs.

I'll have to disagree with you on the point that we only have the Dems or Repubs as choices. When Rand gets rejected by the GOP establaihment, I don't think there is any way the media will be able to ignore coverage of the Libertarian Party. And, now that the Libertarian Party is organized in all 50 states, running candidates for state offices, we've earned a voice in the debates. Can't change the spots on a Leopard. The GOP is what it is, overwhelmingly over 55 years of age, white men. Libertarians are old, young, middle-aged, white, black, brown that understand the dangers of a government too big and out of control.

I just don't have a feel for where the Tea support might go. The rally around smaller government yet rejected the champion of smaller government and supported big government and even less Liberties in Rick Santorum. Somehow, I don't think they are serious about shrinking the size or spending of the Fed Gov.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The world today moves at a faster pace than anytime in our past. There were a lot of people that stayed away because they don't trust the Repubs or Dems and the media did shut out other voices. We call them the disenfranchised...people that have been deserted by the Repubs.

I'll have to disagree with you on the point that we only have the Dems or Repubs as choices. When Rand gets rejected by the GOP establaihment, I don't think there is any way the media will be able to ignore coverage of the Libertarian Party. And, now that the Libertarian Party is organized in all 50 states, running candidates for state offices, we've earned a voice in the debates. Can't change the spots on a Leopard. The GOP is what it is, overwhelmingly over 55 years of age, white men. Libertarians are old, young, middle-aged, white, black, brown that understand the dangers of a government too big and out of control.

I just don't have a feel for where the Tea support might go. The rally around smaller government yet rejected the champion of smaller government and supported big government and even less Liberties in Rick Santorum. Somehow, I don't think they are serious about shrinking the size or spending of the Fed Gov.
    And if all of those that stayed away had voted for your guy, still nothing would have happened.
    Had they voted intelligently, we would not be staring MARXISM in the eye!!!

You want change, work for it.
    Stan b & Elvis