The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Need a Good Vet in Indiana to Take Elbow X-Rays at a Reasonable Price

Default Need a Good Vet in Indiana to Take Elbow X-Rays at a Reasonable Price

I live in north-central Indiana. I have a 3 year old BLF who has passed all of her health clearances but one, her OFA Elbow certification. I did Penn Hip on her at a year of age and she was too young to have her elbow's x-rayed for certification at that time. I haven't been in a hurry to get them done as I have no worries about her elbows soundness, but I know that some prospective puppy buyer might like to have that last clearance made.

I have inquired at my regular vet's office and they said they don't have digital x-ray equipment and that I might get a better result elsewhere. Purdue can do it for an estimated $350 - $500. That seems pretty high to me. I was in MN a month ago to sell a stud dog. He too needed his elbows x-rayed as a part of the deal and the vet in MN did it (with no sedation) for $130, if I remember correctly. Another local vet I consulted offered to do it for around $230, but they'd never done it before so they'd have to "study up on the procedure". I checked with one other vet near Zionsville today and was quoted $480!

I'd like to think that there is a vet in the state that can take a couple of elbow x-rays without breaking the bank. Can anyone give me a lead on a good vet that can provide this service expertly at a resonable cost?

Thanks!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Jeff...most of us in the club use Dr. Ferris (not sure if it's an e or an a) in Greenfield. He's great with sporting dogs and is very reasonable.

Mike
    Proud partner of HRCH Chelseas Supershootin Sambeau, HR Beadle's Ticket To Ride JH, Fairwood's River Queen and the two who left us far too early...Molly and HR Silverbrook's Comin' Soon. Wait for me girls.

Quote Originally Posted by goosehuntermp View Post
    Jeff...most of us in the club use Dr. Ferris (not sure if it's an e or an a) in Greenfield. He's great with sporting dogs and is very reasonable.

Mike
    X2 for Doc Ferris in Greenfield. Not very easy to find a vet that knows gun dogs around here but he does and like Mike said very reasonable prices.
    HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
    SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
    Bourbon Bay's Other Woman "Jolene"

Thanks for the info Matt and goosehuntermp! I just talked to Dr. Ferris' office. The dr. is "out" today and there was no charge listed in the computer for elbows only, so they will get back with me tomorrow. I did find out that they don't need to sedate the dog to get the x-rays, which is a good thing! I hate to put her through anymore stress than necessary. I'm within about an hour and a quarter drive, so not too bad.

Thanks again!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Swack,

Don't know where you are located in Indiana, but I use Countryside Animal Clinic in Kimmel, IN which is about 2 hrs north of Indy. She does an excellent job, and I have had extremely few elbows or hips come back bad. Does a good job with positioning. She charges $215 for combined Hip and Elbow xrays, including OFA fee. Not sure what charge would be on Elbows, but is very reasonable with her prices. website - http://www.countrysideanimal-clinic.com/
    Last edited by Dogtrainer4God; 03-06-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

Thanks Dgotrainer4God! I'm near Frankfort. It's a long haul up to the Syracuse area, but thanks for the info!

Thanks to those who sent PM's too!

Matt and Goosehuntermp, I got the call back from Dr. Ferris' office. They said it would be $65 for the x-rays and $40 for the OFA fee. I've got an appointment to have it done on Monday.

Thanks Everyone for your input!

Swack

P.S. This RTF forum is OK in spite of what everybody says about it!
    Jeff Swackhamer