The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: how many marks a day

Default how many marks a day

how many marks on average do you throw for your dog a day? im talking about set up marks.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

When you say set up marks, what do you mean exactly? For my day in day out training with a group, in winter (no water) I try to run two marking setups. Typically a challenging double with a remote winger as the go-bird to allow the two other guns to retire. Then we run blinds. Summer time I try to set up one land and one water marking setup. If I'm just training with one other person we might run a series of four walking singles, it all depends.

John

I learned long ago its not a quantity issue....its a quality issue..

trained with Clint on many a day where we would go out and run one set of marks or just a single blind, and then voila pack up the dogs and head home...but then again he might have been thinking about running that particular set all day long or waiting to run a particular blind when the conditions were just right..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    When you say set up marks, what do you mean exactly? For my day in day out training with a group, in winter (no water) I try to run two marking setups. Typically a challenging double with a remote winger as the go-bird to allow the two other guns to retire. Then we run blinds. Summer time I try to set up one land and one water marking setup. If I'm just training with one other person we might run a series of four walking singles, it all depends.

John
    I am just talking about set ups, not markes to "teach" a concept, but marks that cover concepts already taught.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by dtmanring View Post
    I am just talking about set ups, not markes to "teach" a concept, but marks that cover concepts already taught.
    All marks should be set-up to teach the dog something and how to fight a factor i.e. wind, hill side, short gun, under the arch, through the old fall area. We are always thinking of new marks and bird placement for building better marking dogs. I very rarely test any of my dogs. That comes the day of the trial, and if the training is done correct. The dogs will pass the test and at least finish the trial.
    Young trainers get to hung up on winning training day and testing thier dogs, not training.

If your not teaching a concept what are you doing
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I learned long ago its not a quantity issue....its a quality issue..
    Bon-
    Just felt like this would look better a little larger

There's some good stuff to be learned in 3-4 challenging Singles
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

In ideal conditions I usually find that a dog has about 6-7 good retrieves in them per half day session and maybe 2-3 more if training is spaced out all day.(less than ideal = less retrieves). Beyond that fatigue increases and attention span decreases often resulting in confusion and frustration. How many of those are marks, of any type, vs blinds is dependent upon dog's need, grounds and personel.

JMO

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    Bon-
    Just felt like this would look better a little larger

There's some good stuff to be learned in 3-4 challenging Singles

THIS!!!!! and what Bon said
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/