The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HRC walk up entry????

Default HRC walk up entry????

As long as HRC has been in the headlines lately, I have a question maybe someone who has been around since the early days can answer. Has there always been a walk up entry system since the begining, and if so, why? I have belonged to a club in MN since it was formed 8 years ago, and after 8 years of dealing with this I can't seem to see any benefit to allowing it. Last weekend we had our upland test, we were planning on around 15+ dogs per test per hearsay, so we purchased birds accordingly. Ended up with 12 and 9, pretty hard to make any money with 40 birds left over. Same goes for the summer test, you never know how many birds to get, how much help, how many lunches ect. .. We have used EE and charged a $15.00 walk up fee and you still have walk up's. It sure would make it easier on the clubs if this was changed.

To my knowledge, walkups have always been allowed.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    As long as HRC has been in the headlines lately, I have a question maybe someone who has been around since the early days can answer. Has there always been a walk up entry system since the begining, and if so, why? I have belonged to a club in MN since it was formed 8 years ago, and after 8 years of dealing with this I can't seem to see any benefit to allowing it. Last weekend we had our upland test, we were planning on around 15+ dogs per test per hearsay, so we purchased birds accordingly. Ended up with 12 and 9, pretty hard to make any money with 40 birds left over. Same goes for the summer test, you never know how many birds to get, how much help, how many lunches ect. .. We have used EE and charged a $15.00 walk up fee and you still have walk up's. It sure would make it easier on the clubs if this was changed.
    There have always been walk-ups. There will always be walk ups UNLESS the parent organization steps up and mandates an early close much like the AKC. It was started so "Joe Duckhunter" could just walk up the day of and try his luck with his bestest of hunting buddies................with ZERO thought as to how financially sound this decision is. Clubs can't budget, cant plan, and day of walk ups are a paperwork PITA. This has been argued over and over and over and here before long somebody will get on here spewing something along the lines of "go by last years numbers", or "we plan ours just fine...why can't you?", or my personal favorite "if we take away walk-ups we deviate from why the HRC was started...it's not in the spirit of the organization to deny someone the ability to run"...forget about our financial viability...or sanity. Hope you can guess which side of the fence i'm on.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

if you charged 15 and they still paid, up it to $20 or $25 maybe you will make some money then........or it will become a deterrent????
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Lee View Post
    if you charged 15 and they still paid, up it to $20 or $25 maybe you will make some money then........or it will become a deterrent????
    A couple of years ago we decided to charge a 50% late/walk up fee to hopefully encourage folks to sign up early...man did that one hurt. Funny thing is though, I probably heard 50 or 60 DIFFERENT people at various HT's prior to our event bitching incessantly about the late fee. I asked each of them "So you know about the late fee?? Have you signed up yet"...not one yes. Not one. They read the premium, knew about the late fee, bitched about it publicly, and still it wasn't enough to motivate people. Again, when the parent organization makes it law (how sad it has come to that...gov't intervention) peoples mindset will change. Till then, they have no reason to change the way they have done things for many years...
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

HRC clubs have the option of allowing day of entry or not. They can also charge a late fee for anyone entering after the "close." There is nothing that requires a club to accept day of entries. Just habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    HRC clubs have the option of allowing day of entry or not. They can also charge a late fee for anyone entering after the "close." There is nothing that requires a club to accept day of entries. Just habit.
    Yes, but, if you are the only club doing it you will be boycotted. Strength is in numbers.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post

I agree it's habit, and not a good one....Going to push hard for our club to have a close date and a hefty late fee, $ 15.00 doesn't seem to have any effect, maybe 50% is the way to go.

I agree it's habit, and not a good one....Going to push hard for our club to have a close date and a hefty late fee, $ 15.00 doesn't seem to have any effect, maybe 50% is the way to go.
    ...it cut our entries in half...I agree with you Todd, but for us it wasn't the answer.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    Yes, but, if you are the only club doing it you will be boycotted. Strength is in numbers.
    Yet another problem. HRC members tend to do that. No excuse not to support your fellow clubs.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke