The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HRC walk up entry????

I like it that the clubs have an option. But out of consideration for the club and your HRC friends signing up early is the right thing to do IMO.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

Recently I started working for a new employer in the same field I'd been in the previous 8 years. There are/were many things being done that weren't efficient or otherwise didn't make a whole lot of sense. When I asked why it's done this way, invariably the answer was "Well....because that's the way we've always done it". Which is probably the worst reason to do something.

As a past HRC club president, this is how I see the walk up. In the 1980's or '90's this probably made a lot of sense. Entries had to be filled out by hand, in advance and mailed to the club HTC in time to arrive before the closing date. A lot of foresight and planning ahead needed to be done to enter when, as many have stated, sometimes people don't know if they'll have the time off work, finances or free time from family obligations 3 weeks or more in advance. HRC allowing walk ups made a lot of sense as someone could wait until Friday evening before the event to decide to go.

Now, with the advent of the internet and online entry services, you can enter until the very last minute before the close. Usually only a week or so before the event. I've raised kids too and have nieces and nephews who are busy with school functions and sports. The Soccer or baseball coach doesn't call the night before and say "by the way, we have a game tomorrow morning at 9 am". The schedules are put out well in advance.

My point is that, today, with the advent of online entries and more and more clubs that struggle to get enough help and make ends meet putting on a test, the time has come to end the walk up. Allowing clubs to know before hand how much food to have, how many workers they need, birds to buy etc... takes a lot of burden off of them and makes it easier to budget for and put on events in the future.

And, like it or not, AKC is doing just fine with entry numbers and when was the last time they allowed walk ups?

Just my .02
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    Recently I started working for a new employer in the same field I'd been in the previous 8 years. There are/were many things being done that weren't efficient or otherwise didn't make a whole lot of sense. When I asked why it's done this way, invariably the answer was "Well....because that's the way we've always done it". Which is probably the worst reason to do something.

As a past HRC club president, this is how I see the walk up. In the 1980's or '90's this probably made a lot of sense. Entries had to be filled out by hand, in advance and mailed to the club HTC in time to arrive before the closing date. A lot of foresight and planning ahead needed to be done to enter when, as many have stated, sometimes people don't know if they'll have the time off work, finances or free time from family obligations 3 weeks or more in advance. HRC allowing walk ups made a lot of sense as someone could wait until Friday evening before the event to decide to go.

Now, with the advent of the internet and online entry services, you can enter until the very last minute before the close. Usually only a week or so before the event. I've raised kids too and have nieces and nephews who are busy with school functions and sports. The Soccer or baseball coach doesn't call the night before and say "by the way, we have a game tomorrow morning at 9 am". The schedules are put out well in advance.

My point is that, today, with the advent of online entries and more and more clubs that struggle to get enough help and make ends meet putting on a test, the time has come to end the walk up. Allowing clubs to know before hand how much food to have, how many workers they need, birds to buy etc... takes a lot of burden off of them and makes it easier to budget for and put on events in the future.

And, like it or not, AKC is doing just fine with entry numbers and when was the last time they allowed walk ups?

Just my .02
    This is so true and makes so much sense, it has absolutely no possibility of ever being implemented.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    This is so true and makes so much sense, it has absolutely no possibility of ever being implemented.
    MP
    Common sense has never been that common Mike. Being stuck in the past will eventually eliminate their future.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts