The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possessiveness

Default Possessiveness

Hey all. I have a 13 week old pup and she very possessive with objects. Throw dummy's and she tries to escape. Sticks in yard she runs away with. She just wants to run off and have things to herself. What do I do?

Do you play chase with the puppy or dose the puppy have to chase you?

Possessiveness shows dominance but also shows confidence. Get a rolled up sock or a paint roller and play in the hallway give no escape route except back to you. He is a baby. Keep it to three or four tosses then stop even if they want more. It's hard to do this but you need to. When the pup returns to you allow him to hold the sock for a second or to with lots of praise. Really get into it high voice scratch ribs. When outdoors get a rope. Reel in the pup giving the here or come command even if the bumper is dropped. Once the pup is next to you repeat the high voice and rib scratching praise. Do Not Chase the pup. keep up the praise and the pup will realize either its doing something right or your praise means more than the retrieve itself

I pretty much stop throwing things that I don't think she'll retrieve. I might try Ken Bora's main technique (rope, if you don't know) and that could work. Most likely I do a lot of ball in the hall until she get's in the habit of bringing things back in the hallway. Make sure you make a big deal out of it when she returns to you. even if she left the retrievable object back down the hall a ways. When she's been doing ball in the hall for awhile, then I try to integrate a few very easy retrieves outside and I would use a rope. She may not retrieve it but she will come back.

Don't get mad at her 'cause she might think you are getting mad 'cause she picked up whatever you threw for her. Continue to make a big deal out of it when she comes back even if it's without the bumper/tennis ball or whatever and you had to pull her in with the rope. She's still with you and that's where you want her to be.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I don't chase her but any chance I get I try and get her coming to me. She is really curious in the yard and its hard to get her attention. I figure she is just being a puppy. At times she reallys comes charging back hard but mostly not

Quote Originally Posted by Gunssmoke3217 View Post
    I don't chase her but any chance I get I try and get her coming to me. She is really curious in the yard and its hard to get her attention. I figure she is just being a puppy. At times she reallys comes charging back hard but mostly not

Trying not an option. She must come back. No wiggle room here. Don't set her up for failure: with or without bird/object is okay. She will possibly drop when you tug on the cord (rope) That will change. Here means here---don't give the command unless you can enforce it. I also understand fun stuff distractions etc... at that age, clapping, whoo whoo, but DON'T CALL HERE in a situation you can't control. Good luck with the pup!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

My 14 week old is doing the same thing. I am following Hillmann and he says not to worry about it at this time. Just make sure she is crazy to go get the dummy. Look up "Sit+ Here commands" on youtube by maryhill. In this video Hillman explains this. T-pines just gave me this info.

At 13 weeks the prey drive is most important. Not coming back can be addressed later with a Ken Bora rope.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

It doesn't sound to me like something to worry about. As the others said it's check cord time. In the meantime teach the hear command with treats.
    Also don't worry about her keeping things other than bumpers(she shouldn't get birds until this phase is through). But don't throw ANYTHING other than bumpers for her either.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Hallway idea is a good one. and... surely a rope...