The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavalier King Charles Spaniels ??

Default Cavalier King Charles Spaniels ??

Our family is looking to add a new member and my wife has taken a liking to the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel . Just doing some initial research seems like there are quite a few health issues . Any advice would be greatly appreciated . We are looking for a pet primarily and they seem to be pretty nice dogs .We recently lost our Norfolk Terrier due to heart issues and don't want to put my wife through anything that could possibly be avoided and realize there are no guarantees . just want to make an educated decision .
    Thank you

Funny just got the 'Have you ever heard of these " question last night from my wife. Interested to hear some responces.

The ones I have met are super sweet.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug "Josie"
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH "Terra"
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH "Pow"
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise "Sky"
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot "Crash"
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza "Ben"
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister "Sissy"

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Friends of mine breed these. Mitral Valve disease is big in the gene pool. Yearly testing highly recommend. If you can find a breeding from clear older pair it might increase your odds of avoiding. I think clear at 5 is the general rule. I do really like their personalities. Good little house pet.
    Mary

I LOVE these dogs!!! Of course, you'll find different ends of the spectrum, but the four that I have known that were from different litters, different breeders and raised by different families have been really neat dogs.

Got to know two of them at my boarding kennel and two by casual acquaintance. Each time the dogs seemed mellow, but chipper, intelligent and very biddable, affectionate and cuddly. They nothing like a terrier, however, if you are more inclined to terriers. I am a Golden person and find King Charles spaniels to be similar to a fire place laying show line Golden.

All that said, I have no idea regarding possible health issues etc.

But I am also in the market for a reputable breeder as I'd like to get one for my 75 yr old Mother. Would like to have one, too - but kind of maxed out my hubby dog points with my 2 goldens and 1 bernese mtn dog.

I can't think of a worse choice. (see below)

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com...valier+spaniel

If what you're looking for is a pet, why wouldn't you consider looking at your local shelter where you could save a dog from the gas chamber?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

One of a very few small breeds I like. They are nice dogs. I have heard that they have heart problems but I cant help you in that respect.

Clark Emery
    Clark Emery

Quote Originally Posted by maryandkimo View Post
    Friends of mine breed these. Mitral Valve disease is big in the gene pool. Yearly testing highly recommend. If you can find a breeding from clear older pair it might increase your odds of avoiding. I think clear at 5 is the general rule. I do really like their personalities. Good little house pet.
    Mary
    Same experience, same information.

They are fun, funny, sweet, cute, affectionate, good-natured--all sorts of nice things.

In addition to the heart problems, though, there is also a "brain-too-big-for-the-smushed-face's-skull" problem...
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Flint, that's true of every breed. There are dumb breeders and their are responsible breeders. Dumb breeders are bad and make bad dogs, responsible breeders are good and make good dogs.

Google chihuahua and see what problem breeders you come up with. Or Pitbull, or Labrador or ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Flint, that's true of every breed. There are dumb breeders and their are responsible breeders. Dumb breeders are bad and make bad dogs, responsible breeders are good and make good dogs.

Google chihuahua and see what problem breeders you come up with. Or Pitbull, or Labrador or ....
    What characteristics does a "responsible" breeder of this breed select for?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River